Sara demands Palace transparency on travels

Share

Share
Vice President Sara Duterte on Tuesday challenged Malacañang to make public all travel authorities it issues to government officials and employees, along with the expenses and public funds used for their trips, after the Palace disclosed her planned trip to Japan.
The Palace said Duterte’s travel authority, issued on 17 August, covered a personal trip to Japan from 19 to 24 August at no cost to the government. Her office requested its cancellation on 18 August after her plans changed. Duterte said the Office of the President issues travel authorities to numerous government offices, including its own officials and employees, and that the same transparency should apply to all. “Transparency and accountability should not be demanded from a single government office alone,” she said. “From hereon, we expect that all travel authorities issued by the Palace, together with the corresponding travel expenses and public funds involved, be made available to the public.”
Duterte also criticized reports on her Japan trip, saying some were inaccurate because her plans had changed. She urged news organizations to verify information before publication and warned that continued disclosure of her schedule could compromise her security and expose her to heightened risks.
Palace Press Officer and Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro defended the disclosure, saying Duterte is a public official and that government funds are spent on her security and staff during foreign trips. Castro said the government had spent P7 million for Duterte’s security and staff for foreign trips, adding that the public has a right to know how government funds are used.
“She should be reminded that she is a public official and cannot just hide her face wherever she goes. There is nothing wrong with informing the public about the travel authority, as public funds are being spent on her security and staff,” Castro said.
On Wednesday, Castro said the Marcos administration had been transparent about the President’s foreign trips, including official and working visits. She said the media could request copies of travel authorities and related information, while expenses are documented and reported to the Commission on Audit.
“The Office of the President has always been transparent about the President’s travels. There have been reports on his foreign trips, official visits and working visits. None of these are hidden,” Castro said.
“We are not singling anyone out. Transparency is really necessary. So whoever is demanding transparency should also be transparent about their activities,” she added.