The parish church
Tiaong’s first church was constructed from light materials in 1601 by Father Juan de Santa Cruz in the settlement then known as Nayum, which was formerly part of Sariaya. The church was originally dedicated to Santiago Apostol.
In 1606, the town’s administration was transferred to the Augustinians. They relocated the settlement to its present site while retaining the name Nayum. During this period, Tiaong was incorporated into the territory of neighboring San Pablo.
The town was returned to the Franciscans in 1794. It remains unclear, however, when the settlement’s name was changed from Nayum to Tiaong and when San Juan Bautista replaced Santiago Apostol as its titular patron.
By 1865, Tiaong already had a stone church and convent. In 1870, Father Samuel Mena, OFM, raised the church’s façade and transept. Father Luis Garcia de los Angeles later covered the church with galvanized-iron roofing in 1888 and repaired the woodwork of both the church and the convent.
Beside the convent once stood the town cemetery, which was constructed from stone and brick. Sections of its perimeter wall survive to this day. The cemetery may have been built by the Augustinians, who also erected stone-and-brick school buildings that are no longer extant.
Brick kilns used to produce materials for these structures — as well as for a brick bridge on the road leading to San Pablo — were reportedly still standing at the turn of the 20th century.
The bridge was most likely built across a tributary of the Malaking Ilog River within the población. It was erected in 1843 under the direction of Father Joaquin Coria, OFM.