Tuesday, 18 August 2026
Nasdaq -0.31%
Subscribe NowSupport Us

Daily Tribune

Daily Tribune
Subscribe
Tuesday, 18 August 2026
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Life
  • Show
  • Sports
  • Global Goals
Partner feature

The Philippines' leading digital newspaper.

News
  • Headlines
  • Page three
  • Metro
  • Nation
  • World
  • Dyaryo Tirada
  • Obituary (Remember Me)
  • SONATOTOO (archive)
Opinion
  • All columnists
  • Editorials
  • Guest essays
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Scuttlebutt
Business
  • Shipping
  • Portraits
  • Pep
  • Business Advisories
  • Technology (Tech Talks)
Life
  • Show
  • Food & Drink
  • Getaways
  • Arts & Culture
  • Social Set
  • Spaces
  • Fashion & Beauty
  • The Edit
  • Top Form
  • Next Gen
  • Sacred Space
  • Project Larawan
  • Snaps
Sports
  • Hoops
  • Volley
  • Golf
  • Goal
  • Boxing
  • Tennis
  • Esports
  • Blast

Company

  • SONATOTOO archive
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • Privacy
  • Subscribe
  • Support Us

© 2026 Daily Tribune · tribune.net.ph · Powered by Quintype

WORLD

DR Congo says Ebola outbreak now its deadliest ever

The deaths were from 4,945 confirmed cases, overtaking an outbreak in 2018 to 2020 that killed 2,299 people.

AF

Agence France-Presse·18 August 2026, 1:27 am·1 MIN READ

DR Congo says Ebola outbreak now its deadliest ever

Photograph courtesy of AFP

Text size

Share

Partner feature

Stay informed

Get Daily Tribune in your inbox

Breaking news, opinion, and business coverage for readers in the Philippines and abroad.

Subscribe to the newsletter

What's your take?

Share

Google Preferred Sources

Get more Daily Tribune stories in your search results

Add Daily Tribune as a preferred source on Google Search.

Add to Google
Partner feature
Partner feature
Partner feature
  • BEIJING, China (AFP) — An Ebola outbreak has now killed 2,325 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), making it the country’s deadliest outbreak of the virus, according to government figures released Monday.

    The United Nations says that the Ebola outbreak “is the fastest growing on record” and is killing a victim every 30 minutes in the DRC.

    The deaths were from 4,945 confirmed cases, overtaking an outbreak in 2018 to 2020 that killed 2,299 people in the DRC from 3,381 confirmed cases.

    The deadliest Ebola outbreak ever hit west Africa in 2013 to 2016, killing more than 11,300 people, mainly in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.

    The DRC outbreak began in the conflict-scarred northeastern province of Ituri and has since spread to five other provinces in the sprawling central African country of more than 100 million people.

    Declared on 15 May, it is thought to have already been spreading for several weeks at that point, and is the DRC’s 17th Ebola outbreak.

    The World Health Organization last week said it hoped to reverse the spread of the disease in the country within three months.

    Ebola, which spreads through contact with bodily fluids and causes a hemorrhagic fever, has killed more than 15,000 people in Africa over the past 50 years.

    • Democratic Republic of Congo
    • Ebola outbreak DRC
    • Ebola death toll

    Also read

    Ukraine drone strike kills 12, wounds 39
    WORLD

    Ukraine drone strike kills 12, wounds 39

    Large black smoke cloud billows at the site of an oil facility near the industrial city of Nizhnekamsk.

    Agence France-Presse·10 August 2026

    Also read

    Mass drone attack on Moscow as Russian strikes kill three
    WORLD

    Mass drone attack on Moscow as Russian strikes kill three

    KYIV, Ukraine (AFP) — Hundreds of drones targeted Moscow on Sunday as Russia launched missile strikes that killed three people and wounded…

    Agence France-Presse·16 August 2026