
The release came after a request last week from the government in the DRC, which has recorded more than 5,000 Ebola…

The rescue came amid continuing rains in parts of Oriental Mindoro, where rising waterways and damaged access routes…

Charlie Fleming is ready to make her 18th birthday extra memorable as she prepares for a debut that she promises will…

What 9 Works will do with the musical in Manila, however, remains to be seen. The company has announced the production,…

The provincial government has placed Bulacan under a state of calamity due to damage caused by the enhanced southwest…
Vince Dizon said on Monday he plans to file a new set of cases against a contractor and officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways over allegedly substandard flood control projects in Naujan, Oriental Mindoro.
Dizon’s statement came a day after Humerlito Dolor disclosed that another section of the road dike along the Mag-Asawang Tubig River had collapsed, contributing to severe flooding in the towns of Naujan and Victoria in December last year.
He said the collapse occurred in the same area where a supposedly substandard flood control project linked to Sunwest Inc., allegedly associated with Zaldy Co, was constructed, noting that it involved the same road dike but a different segment.
This time, however, the contractor for the two flood control projects worth P420 million has been identified as New Big Four J.
“Our suspicion that the whole stretch of the project was anomaloys was confirmed when it was discovered by Governor Dolor,” Dizon said. “This what I am saying the cases are multiple, Part 2, but different contractor. There will be new charges to be filed. There are from DPWH, the same people. I saw the papers that include former Regional Director (Gerald) Pacanan signed,” he added.
Despite the planned cases, Dizon said the immediate priority is to require the contractor to repair the damaged structure, as the project remains under warranty.
“The project was completed but it was damaged thus there is a need for them to direct the contractor to repair it. Yung New Big Four J, today, papadalhan na natin ng demand letter to repair. Ang estimate yata is nasa P20+ million ang repair na kailangan gawin,” he said.
Dizon stressed that the repairs must be completed before the next rainy season.
However, he said that even if the contractor undertakes repairs, criminal charges may still be pursued.
“Substandard. The issue is different if damaged and different also if substandard thus cases should be filed since the sheet is only three meters just like in Sunwest, so there should be an investigation,” Dizon said, referring to the length of the sheet piles installed, which should have been 12 meters based on DPWH design standards.
Investigators will also examine the alleged close ties of the contractor to former DPWH undersecretary Roberto Bernardo, a key figure in the flood control corruption controversy.
He said the possible involvement of former regional director Pacanan, who is reportedly close to Bernardo and is now under the witness protection program, should also be investigated.
“That kind of information should be incvestigated and will be submitted to the DOJ and Ombudsman,” Dizon said.
Asked why there appear to be numerous anomalous projects in Oriental Mindoro, Dizon said the situation mirrors what has been uncovered in Bulacan’s 1st District, where the same group allegedly handled projects.
“We all know the theory in the case of Sunwest which has connections with Zaldy Co and the DPWH people and that is the situation in Oriental Mindoro,” he said.