HPG relieves 12 NCR cops over alleged Customs confrontation


The Philippine National Police-Highway Patrol Group (PNP-HPG) has ordered the administrative relief of 12 personnel from its Regional Highway Patrol Unit-National Capital Region, including its chief, Col. Joey Tomas Caise, following allegations of a confrontation with Bureau of Customs (BOC) agents in Bulacan.
PNP-HPG Director Brig. Gen. Rommel Batangan ordered the relief over the weekend as authorities investigate the incident.
Broadcaster Ramon Tulfo alleged in a social media post that HPG personnel, reportedly led by Lt. Col. Carlo Loñosa, harassed and disarmed Customs agents and held them at gunpoint as the police officers allegedly attempted to seize smuggled cigarettes from an incineration facility in Bulacan.
Tulfo said Customs Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno immediately called top PNP officials to report the late-night incident.
Batangan said the HPG recognizes the seriousness of the allegations and immediately took steps to ensure the incident is properly investigated.
He said the HPG had taken note of reports concerning the alleged confrontation between BOC and HPG-NCR personnel during the destruction of confiscated smuggled cigarettes in Bulacan.
Meanwhile, Brig. Gen. Christopher Abrahano has been named officer-in-charge of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO).
PNP spokesperson Col. Allen Rae Co confirmed that Abrahano will succeed Maj. Gen. Anthony Aberin, who retires Sunday, 23 August.
Before his latest appointment, Abrahano headed the PNP Criminal Investigation and Detection Group. He previously served as Caraga regional police director and director of the PNP Aviation Security Group.