
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) recorded increases in the…

The Juvenile Justice and Welfare Council (JJWC) said that discourse regarding legislative reforms to decrease violence…

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) reported Sunday that P1.1 billion worth of humanitarian…

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) arrested a 29-year-old South Korean national wanted in her country for alleged…

“Just because we are here for the impeachment doesn’t mean we are neglecting our other work.”
A 72-year-old Canadian national flagged by Canadian authorities as a potential threat to children was apprehended by the Bureau of Immigration (BI) following his documented history of sexual offenses abroad.
The foreign national was identified as Orville Frank Mader, who was arrested on the evening of 30 June 2026 at a residential area in Barangay Caingin, Santa Rosa City, Laguna by operatives of the BI's Fugitive Search Unit (BI-FSU).
According to BI-FSU Chief Rendel Ryan Sy, the operation was conducted in coordination with the Canadian authorities and several Philippine intelligence and law enforcement agencies.
Canadian authorities alerted the BI to Mader's presence in the Philippines after confirming that his Canadian passport had been cancelled. While he is not currently facing a criminal prosecution in Canada, the RCMP and CBSA advised Philippine authorities that he has a documented criminal history involving sexual offenses against children and may pose a potential risk to minors.
Records showed that Mader had been apprehended on two separate occasions for alleged sexual offenses against children, in 2016 and again in 2022. Canadian authorities also reported a long-documented pattern of similar offenses in Thailand and Cambodia dating back to the early 2000s.
BI records showed that Mader last entered the Philippines on 29 September 2015 as a temporary visitor and has remained in the country without securing any subsequent extension of stay, making him an undocumented and overstaying foreign national.
"The BI will never allow foreign predators to stay in our country," said Immigration Commissioner Joel Anthony Viado. "Protecting Filipino families is among our highest priorities. Through our #ShieldKids campaign, we are intensifying operations against foreign sexual predators and working closely with our local and international partners to ensure they are located, arrested, and removed from our communities."
Viado encouraged the public to report suspected foreign sexual predators or child exploitation activities to the Bureau of Immigration or through the Council for the Welfare of Children's Makabata Helpline 1383 to support the government's #ShieldKids campaign.
The Canadian national was taken into BI custody and will undergo deportation proceedings for violating Philippine immigration laws.