DoH backs QC car-free Sundays



India wants to be developed by 2047. Its businessmen in Manila think some of that future can be built here.

The rescue came amid continuing rains in parts of Oriental Mindoro, where rising waterways and damaged access routes…

Grenada restores its Manila presence, putting fresh weight behind a young relationship with the Philippines.

Two men were arrested in separate buy-bust operations in Agoo, La Union, and Magsingal, Ilocos Sur, early Friday, with…

The provincial government has placed Bulacan under a state of calamity due to damage caused by the enhanced southwest…
The Department of Health (DoH) launched its “PinaSigla KalyeSugan: Car-Free Sunday & Healthy Market” initiative along Tomas Morato Avenue on Sunday, aiming to integrate primary health care with urban wellness.
A section of the popular thoroughfare, stretching from Scout Rallos to Scout Limbaga, was closed to motorized vehicles until 10 a.m.
The closure provided residents space for physical activities while the DoH offered free medical services, including HIV testing, blood sugar screenings, and dental checkups.
A Kadiwa market was also established at the site, selling fresh produce to encourage better nutritional habits.
“We came here to participate and join the community,” said James Kenneth Estrella, a first-year student at Quezon City University. He noted that such events are vital for raising personal health awareness. “It’s about knowing the status of our bodies.”
Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte said that while some local business owners were initially skeptical of road closures, the program has proven to be an economic driver.
“Previously, many did not want to support closing the streets. Businesses were afraid they would lose income in the mornings. But the opposite happened,” Belmonte said. She noted that increased foot traffic from residents exercising and community bonding has actually strengthened local commerce.
Following the success of the Tomas Morato pilot, Belmonte announced plans to expand car-free zones throughout the city.
Meantime, Health Secretary Teodoro Herbosa cited that several local government units in Metro Manila, including Manila, Pasig and Makati, have implemented similar programs. He advocated for these “open spaces” as a means to reduce carbon monoxide exposure and provide citizens with fresh air.
“We want to see more services offered there,” Herbosa said. “I hope the food being sold in these areas remains healthy, like it is here today.”
The DoH stated the initiative is part of a broader effort to promote active lifestyles among all Filipinos, pledging continued support for similar local government programs.