SUBSCRIBE NOW SUPPORT US

Canada helps boost cyber defense efforts

DND Undersecretary for Capability Assessment and Development Angelito de Leon
DND Undersecretary for Capability Assessment and Development Angelito de Leon Photo courtesy of PNA
Published on

The Department of National Defense (DND) on Thursday reported that Undersecretary Angelito M. de Leon, Officer-in-Charge of the Office of the Undersecretary for Information Systems and Cybersecurity, met with Canada’s Senior Official for Cyber Security, Sami Khoury of the Communications Security Establishment (CSE), on 18 February 2026, at Camp Aguinaldo further to strengthen collaboration in the cyber and information domains.

The engagement, built on the growing defense partnership between the Philippines and Canada, was highlighted by the signing of the Philippines–Canada Status of Visiting Forces Agreement in November 2025.

During the meeting, De Leon cited previous cyber engagements and expressed appreciation for Canada’s continued collaboration. He also conveyed the DND’s interest in learning from Canada’s best practices in cyber governance, operational coordination, and resilience-building mechanisms to enhance national cyber capabilities.

Discussions focused on key areas of convergence, including the regular exchange of strategic cyber threat intelligence, updates on evolving cyber threats, and the institutionalization of joint training programs and professional exchanges.

The officials also discussed sustaining cooperation through the regular convening of an Annual Philippines–Canada Cyber Working Group to ensure continuity, alignment of priorities, and measurable outcomes. 

Both sides highlighted collaboration in regional and international platforms, including ASEAN initiatives, to promote a secure, open, interoperable and rules-based cyberspace.

Mr. Khoury previously visited the DND on 9 March 2025, as part of a Canadian delegation led by Ambassador David Hartman to advance bilateral cyber cooperation and capacity-building efforts.

Meanwhile, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) also on Thursday warned that cyber threats against the Philippines from China-based actors are intensifying in 2026 due to geopolitical tensions.

AFP Cyber Command chief Brigadier General Joey Fontiveros said the Philippines faces persistent cyberattacks linked to territorial disputes in the West Philippine Sea (WPS).

Cyber tensions escalate

“The country’s cybersecurity landscape in 2026 is characterized by escalating threats driven by geopolitical tensions, rapid digital transformation and a sophisticated adversary environment, particularly from state-sponsored actors,” Fontiveros said.

“From a security and defense viewpoint, the country faces persistent cyberattacks linked to territorial disputes in the WPS with China-based malicious actors deploying malware, DDOS attacks, data leaks and website compromises to advance Beijing’s regional ambition,” he added.

Latest Stories

No stories found.
logo
Daily Tribune
tribune.net.ph