Lacson: Guteza ‘flip-flop’ may trigger subornation case vs. Marcoleta, Defensor

Share

Share
Detained Sen. Rodante Marcoleta and former lawmaker Michael Defensor could face complaints for subornation of perjury over the testimony of former Marine Orly Guteza, who has recanted allegations linking former House Speaker Martin Romualdez to cash deliveries, Sen. Panfilo “Ping” Lacson said Saturday.
Lacson said the sequence of events during a Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearing last year showed Marcoleta coaching Guteza on what to say in his affidavit, raising the possibility of criminal liability if a complaint is filed.
“Kung titingnan natin ang ebidensya, takbo ng pangyayari, nangyari ito noong pagdinig ng BRC na maliwanag kino-coach ni Sen. Marcoleta. So isa siya sa pwedeng kasuhan ng subornation of perjury,” Lacson said in a radio interview.
Guteza, who was presented by Marcoleta as a surprise witness in September 2025, initially claimed he had delivered suitcases containing cash to the residences of Romualdez and former lawmaker Zaldy Co as part of an alleged flood-control kickback scheme. Romualdez denied the allegations.
Guteza has since withdrawn those claims, saying Marcoleta and Defensor had tapped him to make the accusations. His new affidavit, dated 13 August, also alleged that Defensor’s son-in-law helped prepare the original affidavit and that Marcoleta later revised it.
Lacson said Romualdez, who was implicated in Guteza’s original testimony, could file a complaint. He added that the Department of Justice and Office of the Ombudsman could also initiate a preliminary investigation because perjury is considered a public offense.
“Dapat talaga magkaroon ng leksyon ang mga nagsasagawa niyan kasi may batas tayong sumasaklaw diyan (pero) walang natutuluyang kasuhan,” Lacson said, reiterating his plan to file a bill increasing penalties and fines for those who induce or force others to commit perjury.
The Ombudsman, meanwhile, has said Guteza’s recantation would not derail its investigation into allegations against Romualdez. The anti-graft body said the probe does not depend on a single witness and that 28 active uniformed personnel were prepared to testify.
Marcoleta has been detained at the Quezon City Jail after the Sandiganbayan ordered his arrest in a separate plunder case involving allegations that he accepted P75 million in undeclared campaign contributions during the 2025 elections. Defensor, who is also a co-accused in the case, is detained at the same facility. Both have pleaded not guilty.
The allegations against Marcoleta and Defensor over Guteza’s testimony have not been adjudicated in court.