Bulacan placed under state of calamity



CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY — Amid growing concerns over school shootings in the region and elsewhere, barangay officials and…

India wants to be developed by 2047. Its businessmen in Manila think some of that future can be built here.

The rescue came amid continuing rains in parts of Oriental Mindoro, where rising waterways and damaged access routes…

Grenada restores its Manila presence, putting fresh weight behind a young relationship with the Philippines.

Two men were arrested in separate buy-bust operations in Agoo, La Union, and Magsingal, Ilocos Sur, early Friday, with…
The provincial government has placed Bulacan under a state of calamity due to damage caused by the enhanced southwest monsoon, or habagat, Tropical Cyclones Luis and Maymayand tropical cyclones “Luis” and “Maymay.”
The Sangguniang Panlalawigan, in Resolution No. 708-T’2026, assessed the extent of flooding, damage to agriculture and infrastructure, and the number of Bulakenyos whose livelihoods were disrupted by the weather disturbances before declaring the province under a state of calamity.
The declaration was approved during a special session on 17 August held via Zoom.
According to the provincial government, heavy rains and flooding caused by the enhanced habagat and the two tropical cyclones affected families, farmers, fisherfolk, businesses and public infrastructure across Bulacan.
Based on the latest Situation Report No. 27 of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC), released at 8 a.m. on 20 August, 11 of Bulacan’s 24 cities and municipalities reported flooding, with water levels reaching one to three feet.
As of 19 August, a total of 6,980 families, or 23,334 individuals, had been affected and evacuated at various points. Of these, 2,146 families, or 7,263 individuals, remained in evacuation centers. No untoward incidents had been reported as of the latest monitoring.
The DRRMO Operations Center remains on Blue Alert to ensure continued monitoring and coordination with local disaster response offices across the province.
Despite the continuing rains, the PDRRMO said all monitored water levels remained below alert and alarm thresholds. As of the morning of 20 August, Angat Dam was at 188.66 meters, Ipo Dam at 101.01 meters and Bustos Dam at 16.10 meters.
Authorities continued to monitor the situation, particularly in low-lying areas that could be affected by high tide, which reached 2.99 feet at 2:41 a.m.
Bulacan Gov. Daniel Fernando urged residents to remain vigilant and continue following official weather and disaster advisories as the province remains under heightened monitoring amid the possibility of further rains and flooding.
“We cannot stop typhoons and heavy rains from coming, but we can prepare, help one another and recover together. Every Bulakenyo matters, and during times of hardship, we must not face these challenges alone,” Fernando said.
The provincial government said monitoring and response operations would continue as it works to provide immediate relief and support the recovery of communities affected by the recent weather disturbances.