Trump scales back U.S.-South Korea drills


WASHINGTON (AFP) — President Donald Trump’s decision to scale back annual military drills with South Korea has raised concerns over US commitment to the region as American forces are stretched by the war with Iran.
Trump said Sunday he had ordered the Pentagon to scale back the “inappropriate and hostile” exercises, citing his “good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
The 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are designed to prepare for a potential war with nuclear-armed North Korea, which has long condemned them as invasion rehearsals.
Trump previously suspended the drills in 2018 after his first summit with Kim, hoping to advance talks on North Korea’s nuclear program. Those negotiations ultimately failed.
South Korea responded cautiously, expressing hope that Trump’s relationship with Kim “will lead to meaningful dialogue.”
The decision has also drawn concern from US lawmakers and foreign policy experts, who said it could signal a weakening of Washington’s commitment to its Asian allies.
The announcement came as the USS George Washington aircraft carrier was redeployed from the Pacific to the Middle East, leaving no US carrier in the region for now.
“The US has long sought to pivot to Asia. Now we are seeing a pivot from Asia as forces depart, munitions grow short, & this Potus (president) chooses totalitarian foes over allies,” Richard Haass, former president of the Council on Foreign Relations, wrote on X.
“China and Russia are watching how easily this President abandons America’s allies, and they will remember it the next time they test us,” said Jack Reed, the top Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee.
Victor Cha, Korea chair at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said Trump’s move was the latest signal of his desire to meet Kim again.