Monday, 24 August 2026
Nasdaq +0.43%
Subscribe NowSupport Us

Daily Tribune

Daily Tribune
Subscribe
Monday, 24 August 2026
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Life
  • Show
  • Sports
  • Global Goals
Partner feature

The Philippines' leading digital newspaper.

News
  • Headlines
  • Page three
  • Metro
  • Nation
  • World
  • Dyaryo Tirada
  • Obituary (Remember Me)
  • SONATOTOO (archive)
Opinion
  • All columnists
  • Editorials
  • Guest essays
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Scuttlebutt
Business
  • Shipping
  • Portraits
  • Pep
  • Business Advisories
  • Technology (Tech Talks)
Life
  • Show
  • Food & Drink
  • Getaways
  • Arts & Culture
  • Social Set
  • Spaces
  • Fashion & Beauty
  • The Edit
  • Top Form
  • Next Gen
  • Sacred Space
  • Project Larawan
  • Snaps
Sports
  • Hoops
  • Volley
  • Golf
  • Goal
  • Boxing
  • Tennis
  • Esports
  • Blast

Company

  • SONATOTOO archive
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • Privacy
  • Subscribe
  • Support Us

© 2026 Daily Tribune · tribune.net.ph · Powered by Quintype

WORLD

Top Hamas leader rejects disarmament or ‘foreign rule’

AF

Agence France-Presse·9 February 2026, 2:34 am·1 MIN READ

Top Hamas leader rejects disarmament
or ‘foreign rule’
Text size

Share

Partner feature

Stay informed

Get Daily Tribune in your inbox

Breaking news, opinion, and business coverage for readers in the Philippines and abroad.

Subscribe to the newsletter

Read next

Israel weathers Gaza war, misinformation – former Spox

Israel weathers Gaza war, misinformation – former Spox

What's your take?

Share

Google Preferred Sources

Get more Daily Tribune stories in your search results

Add Daily Tribune as a preferred source on Google Search.

Add to Google

Continue reading

  • Kushner: Hamas disarmament could start in 30 days
    Kushner: Hamas disarmament could start in 30 days
  • Israel economy weathers Gaza war, misinformation – former Spox
    Israel economy weathers Gaza war, misinformation – former Spox
  • Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
    Break from Trump: Netanyahu rejects Gaza plan
Partner feature
Partner feature
Partner feature

Suggested Articles

More than 800,000 displaced Lebanese returning home after war
WORLD

More than 800,000 displaced Lebanese returning home after war

BEIRUT, Lebanon (AFP) — More than 800,000 people displaced by war in Lebanon have begun returning to their hometowns…

Agence France-Presse·6 August 2026

U.S. reassures Israel on Gaza withdrawal
WORLD

U.S. reassures Israel on Gaza withdrawal

The group said it was awaiting ‘a clear and official response’ from the board and mediators on the agreement.

Agence France-Presse·4 August 2026

Hamas disarming plan raises concerns
WORLD

Hamas disarming plan raises concerns

Israeli intelligence had found that Hamas had been rearming and recruiting forces.

Agence France-Presse·4 August 2026

Strikes kill seven day after deal
WORLD

Strikes kill seven day after deal

Attack obliterated two of the four warehouses for medical supplies.

Agence France-Presse·3 August 2026

Trump says U.S., Israel to hold off 
attacks on Iran
WORLD

Trump says U.S., Israel to hold off attacks on Iran

US leader appeared to a have changed course after speaking with Saudi Arabia's crown prince.

Agence France-Presse·3 August 2026

  • DOHA, Qatar (AFP) — A senior Hamas leader said Sunday that the Palestinian Islamist movement would not surrender its weapons nor accept foreign intervention in Gaza, pushing back against United States and Israeli demands.

    “Criminalizing the resistance, its weapons, and those who carried it out is something we should not accept,” Khaled Meshal said at a conference in Doha.

    “As long as there is occupation, there is resistance. Resistance is a right of peoples under occupation ... something nations take pride in,” said Meshal, who previously headed the group.

    Hamas, an Islamist movement, has waged an armed struggle against what it sees as Israel’s occupation of Palestinian territories. It launched a deadly cross-border raid into Israel from Gaza on 7 October 2023, which triggered the latest war.

    A US-brokered ceasefire in Gaza is in its second phase, which foresees that demilitarization of the territory — including the disarmament of Hamas — along with a gradual withdrawal of Israeli forces.

    Hamas has repeatedly said that disarmament is a red line, although it has indicated it could consider handing over its weapons to a future Palestinian governing authority.

    Israeli officials say that Hamas still has around 20,000 fighters and about 60,000 Kalashnikovs in Gaza.

    A Palestinian technocratic committee has been set up with a goal of taking over the day-to-day governance in the battered Gaza Strip, but it remains unclear whether, or how, it will address the issue of demilitarization.

    The committee operates under the so-called “Board of Peace,” an initiative launched by US President Donald Trump.

    Originally conceived to oversee the Gaza truce and post-war reconstruction, the board’s mandate has since expanded, prompting concerns among critics that it could evolve into a rival to the United Nations.

    Trump unveiled the board at the World Economic Forum in the Swiss ski resort of Davos last month, where leaders and officials from nearly two dozen countries joined him in signing its founding charter.

    • Gaza ceasefire
    • Hamas Gaza
    • Palestinian resistance