Clavano: Discaya’s fear ‘result of her own actions’ amid flood project charges



Atty. Levito Baligod said he plans to bring additional witnesses before the Office of the Ombudsman to aid its…

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has vowed to complete 42 more residential buildings at the People’s Ville housing…

The Social Security System (SSS) announced Monday that members affected by Tropical Storm Maymay and the enhanced…

CAGAYAN DE ORO — Team North will open its title defense in the ICTSI Elite Junior PGT Finals with a simple formula:…

He said the release would ease the financial pressure on SUCs, which had previously absorbed the FHE costs using their…
Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavano on Thursday said that the “fear” expressed by contractor Sarah Discaya is a consequence of her own actions following her alleged involvement in flood control anomalies.
In a television interview, Discaya said she is going through a difficult time.
“My kids are affected. I’m trying to be strong for them, I want to cry but I can’t so that they won’t see my emotions,” she said in a mix of English and Filipino.
On Tuesday, Discaya appeared before the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), but clarified that her visit should not be taken as a surrender, insisting it was primarily to ensure her safety.
“This is not more of surrendering. This is more of safekeeping. The only people who escape are people who are guilty,” she said in Filipino.
The Office of the Ombudsman has filed criminal charges of malversation and graft against Discaya and several others in connection with an alleged ghost flood control project in Davao Occidental amounting to P96.5 million.
“Maliwanag ito: ang takot ni Ms. Discaya ngayon ay bunga ng mga kilos na siya mismo ang gumawa,” Clavano said in a Thursday statement.
(This is clear: the fear that Ms. Discaya is feeling right now is the result of the actions she did herself.)
He said Discaya should also consider the harm caused to millions of Filipinos when funds meant for critical flood control projects were allegedly misused.
“Sana’y naisip niya ang kinabukasan ng milyon-milyong Pilipinong inilagay sa peligro nang ilihis ang pondo para sa mga proyektong dapat nagpoprotekta sa kanila laban sa baha,” Clavano added.
(She should have considered the future of the millions of Filipinos who were put at risk when funds for projects that should protect them from floods were diverted.)
“May karapatan siyang sa due process — pero hindi puwedeng gawing palusot ang takot para takasan ang pananagutan. The consequences are here because the choices were hers,” he said.
(She has the right to due process — but fear cannot be used as an excuse to escape accountability. The consequences are here because the choices were hers.)