Tuesday, 18 August 2026
Nasdaq -1.18%
Subscribe NowSupport Us

Daily Tribune

Daily Tribune
Subscribe
Tuesday, 18 August 2026
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Life
  • Show
  • Sports
  • Global Goals
Partner feature

The Philippines' leading digital newspaper.

News
  • Headlines
  • Page three
  • Metro
  • Nation
  • World
  • Dyaryo Tirada
  • Obituary (Remember Me)
  • SONATOTOO (archive)
Opinion
  • All columnists
  • Editorials
  • Guest essays
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Scuttlebutt
Business
  • Shipping
  • Portraits
  • Pep
  • Business Advisories
  • Technology (Tech Talks)
Life
  • Show
  • Food & Drink
  • Getaways
  • Arts & Culture
  • Social Set
  • Spaces
  • Fashion & Beauty
  • The Edit
  • Top Form
  • Next Gen
  • Sacred Space
  • Project Larawan
  • Snaps
Sports
  • Hoops
  • Volley
  • Golf
  • Goal
  • Boxing
  • Tennis
  • Esports
  • Blast

Company

  • SONATOTOO archive
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • Privacy
  • Subscribe
  • Support Us

© 2026 Daily Tribune · tribune.net.ph · Powered by Quintype

NATION

Teachers react to Castro: 'Why single us out?'

RA

Raffy Ayeng·18 August 2026, 10:54 pm·1 MIN READ

Teachers react to Castro: 'Why single us out?'
Text size
Partner feature

Stay informed

Get Daily Tribune in your inbox

Breaking news, opinion, and business coverage for readers in the Philippines and abroad.

Subscribe to the newsletter

What's your take?

Share

Google Preferred Sources

Get more Daily Tribune stories in your search results

Add Daily Tribune as a preferred source on Google Search.

Add to Google
Partner feature
Partner feature
Partner feature

Share

  • Malacanang Palace
  • Claire Castro
  • Palace

A teachers’ group has questioned Palace press officer and Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro’s remarks singling out teachers in the wake of the shooting incident at Ateneo de Zamboanga on Tuesday.

The Teachers Dignity Coalition (TDC) said it understood Castro’s concern about the role of educators in guiding students but said it was inappropriate to generalize teachers based on the actions of one educator.

Castro made the remarks during a Palace briefing, saying some teachers have encouraged students to be disrespectful toward others.

“Ang isa sa mga nakikita rin ditong solusyon ay dapat na ang mga kabataan natin ay nagagabayan, hindi lamang ng kanilang mga magulang, kundi sa kanilang mismong paaralan,” Castro said.

She added that some teachers themselves have violated standards of morality by allegedly teaching students “kung papaano maging walang modo, lalong-lalo na sa mga nakakatanda or sa mga ibang tao.”

Castro was referring to a now-deleted viral video showing a teacher in the Visayas asking a student to complete a word that would describe the President. The student wrote “Bangag” on the blank, after which the teacher posted the activity on TikTok with the caption, “talagang alam ng mga bata.”

TDC chairperson Benjo Basas said the teacher had already apologized publicly and should face any administrative case that the Department of Education may pursue.

“Parang hindi tama ang ganung pahayag,” Basas said, adding that teachers should not be generalized because of the incident.

He also urged Castro to be more careful with her statements, noting that she speaks on behalf of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.

“Napakataas ng posisyon niya. She is speaking for the President and not for herself. Sana bago siya magbitiw ng salita, sana maging maingat po dahil reflection po yan ng kanyang principal, which is the President,” Basas said.

Remarks on social media threats

Castro also called for an end to threats against other people on social media, saying such statements should not be tolerated.

She said it was troubling that threats against people were being normalized, including claims that an assassin was ready to kill someone.

“Hindi po ito magandang ehemplo,” Castro said, urging the public not to tolerate abusive statements, particularly from public servants.

Her remarks appeared to refer to Vice President Sara Duterte, who has faced impeachment proceedings before the Senate. Among the allegations against Duterte is a grave threat complaint stemming from a November 2024 press conference in which she said she had hired someone to kill President Marcos, his wife Liza Marcos, and House Speaker Martin Romualdez if she were killed.

Duterte has denied that the remarks constituted a threat against the President.

Also read

Zamboanga incident sparks House call for school safety probe
NATION

Zamboanga incident sparks House call for school safety probe

Lawmakers at the House of Representatives called for a congressional inquiry into school safety following the deadly shooting at a school…

Jerod Orcullo·5 hours ago

Also read

Castro challenges Erice to face-to-face talk over Marcos claims
NATION

Castro challenges Erice to face-to-face talk over Marcos claims

Malacañang on Thursday challenged Caloocan Rep. Edgar “Egay” Erice to a face-to-face discussion before the media to explain the basis of…

Raffy Ayeng·13 August 2026