Fire damage shuts down Culiat Bridge



The administration of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is mounting an "all-out" effort to address urban flooding and…

The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), led by Secretary Vince Dizon, inspected the alleged ghost flood…

The camp of former House Speaker Martin Romualdez expressed confidence that recent recantations by several witnesses…
MISAMIS ORIENTAL — Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Vince Dizon inspected two major…

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. kept his administration’s action-oriented agenda moving last week, placing flood…
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has ordered Public Works officials to conduct an immediate technical assessment of the Culiat Bridge II after a four-alarm weekend fire damaged part of the structure, forcing authorities to implement major traffic rerouting on Monday.
The bridge remains temporarily closed after a fire broke out Saturday evening, destroying 46 houses beneath and adjacent to the structure and leaving 38 families homeless.
Following the blaze, inspectors discovered a long, prominent crack on the bridge’s asphalt surface.
Department of Public Works and Highways Secretary Vince Dizon immediately deployed a technical team to evaluate the structural integrity of the bridge and oversee clearing operations alongside the Quezon City engineering department.
Dizon said an engineering study will be conducted to assess the strength of the bridge quickly before full rehabilitation works begin.
While crews clear debris and execute temporary repairs on the warped sections of the asphalt, the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) inspected the site Monday to manage the sudden traffic gridlock along Congressional Avenue.
LTFRB chairperson Vigor Mendoza II said the agency has deployed personnel from its Law Enforcement Unit to assist in enforcing a mandatory rerouting scheme for public utility vehicles and private motorists.
The Quezon City government advised motorists traveling from EDSA to Mindanao Avenue to take Congressional Avenue, turn right onto Cagayan Street, left onto Corregidor Street, and continue to Ilocos Sur Street.
Drivers traveling in the opposite direction from Mindanao Avenue to EDSA are instructed to pass through Congressional Avenue, turn right onto Oblates Fathers Street, left onto Villa Socorro Street, and proceed through Seminary Road.
For light vehicles, the local government suggests taking Congressional Avenue, turning right onto Cagayan Street, left at Ilocos Norte Street, then Cotabato Street, and exiting through Hereford Street.
Meanwhile, motorists traveling from Davao Street should take Cotabato Street, turn right onto Hereford Street, and exit back onto Congressional Avenue.
Officials said the thorough technical inspection is required to ensure the highway infrastructure is entirely safe for motorists before it is restored to full functionality.