
Former Marine security aide Orly Regala Guteza has recanted his earlier testimony linking former House Speaker Martin…

Department of Science and Technology (DOST) Secretary Renato Solidum Jr. welcomed the proposal to establish an…

Malacañang on Wednesday said it is awaiting the Department of Education’s proposal for a school-based approach to…

The House Committee on Appropriations has revised its schedule for deliberations on the proposed 2027 national budget…

The Ad Standards Council (ASC) marked five decades of self-regulation in the Philippine advertising industry on…
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Wednesday called on China to exercise restraint after it launched a long-range missile from a nuclear-powered submarine into the Pacific Ocean on Monday, prompting concern and protests from several countries. The DFA described the launch as "unhelpful."
The agency urged Beijing to "refrain from actions that heighten miscommunication and misunderstanding."
"We underscore the importance of maintaining a calm, secure, and stable environment in the Indo-Pacific region. Actions that erode confidence are unhelpful in advancing dialogue, diplomacy, and cooperation," the DFA said.
The Chinese Embassy in Manila claimed that Pacific countries had been notified in advance. However, the DFA said the Philippines received notice only on Sunday—barely a day before the missile test.
The Department of National Defense (DND) also condemned the launch, describing it as a provocative and "reckless display of military power" that showed little regard for regional stability.
The missile, launched from a nuclear-powered submarine, flew over the northern coast of Luzon before splashing down in the South Pacific Ocean, between the waters of Nauru and Tonga.
China defended the launch as a routine military training activity, insisting it was not directed at any specific country.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning said the launch was "consistent with international law" and "customary international practice." She added that the test was "safe, standard, and professional" and should not cause fear or panic.
Nevertheless, several regional leaders expressed concern over the missile test. Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described it as a "provocative act" that undermines stability in the Pacific region.
"The fact that this was a test of a nuclear-capable intercontinental ballistic missile, fired from a nuclear-powered submarine, is of real concern," Albanese said.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Embassy in Manila said Beijing's "provocative" missile launch runs counter to regional stability and is "inconsistent with the pursuit of meaningful arms control discussions."