Ruth Castelo named new OVP spokesperson



According to the department, the initiative aims to improve internal coordination and build a more responsive…

The administration of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is mounting an "all-out" effort to address urban flooding and…

It cannot be stressed enough that it is the registry receipt issued by the mailing office and the affidavit of the…

Ateneo de Manila University continued its improbable run in the PinoyLiga Cup The Big Dance after surviving College of…

Newly appointed Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Edwin Mercado inspected San Lazaro Hospital in Manila to ensure…
The Office of the Vice President (OVP) has appointed former Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Undersecretary Ruth Castelo as its new spokesperson.
In a press briefing held Wednesday at the OVP headquarters in Mandaluyong City, Castelo clarified that she volunteered for the role and was not recruited.
"There was no convincing needed from the Vice President or her staff. I actually submitted an application for any position where I could help the Office of the Vice President," said Castelo, who previously headed the DTI's Consumer Protection Group.
Castelo left DTI in 2023 after being placed on floating status following a raid she authorized on a Davao-based steel company.
"I am fortunate that I was given this trust and confidence. My purpose for being here is to highlight all the accomplishments of the Vice President," she added.
She emphasized that she is a spokesperson for the OVP, not for Vice President Sara Duterte personally.
"I'm here as the spokesperson for the Office of the Vice President," Castelo said, clarifying that she will not act as the VP's “attack dog.”
Castelo also said she shares the Vice President's fighting spirit.
"I believe in the Vice President and I see myself in her because she never says die. I also never say die. So whatever she faces, I know she can overcome it," she said.
"I'm sure, like me, she has also weathered many storms and she’s still standing strong. I believe in her and, of course, she is the direct extension of her father, former President Rodrigo Duterte, whom I served for six years. That’s why I want to help her," Castelo added.
She replaces Michael Poa, who now serves as spokesperson for the Vice President on impeachment-related matters.