Who owns the other gun?
BoC says father denies owning second firearm

BoC says father denies owning second firearm


President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Wednesday said the government’s efforts at flood control could not fully keep pace…

Palace Press Officer Undersecretary Claire Castro refused to apologize to teachers who may have been offended by her…

Vice President Sara Duterte on Wednesday called for legislation banning social media platforms from allowing minors to…

Gilas Pilipinas Women faces an uphill battle when it faces Canada in the FIBA Olympic Pre-Qualifying Tournament at the…
The adventure returns for its second year as One Piece Run PH sets sail this 26 September.
Authorities are investigating the ownership and custody of the second firearm used in Tuesday’s shooting at Ateneo de Zamboanga University, after the Bureau of Customs (BoC) clarified that only one of the two guns was owned by the suspect’s father.
Bureau of Customs Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno said the father, a Customs official in Zamboanga, owned the Glock 22, while the ownership of the other firearm remains part of the investigation.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) earlier identified the firearms used in the shooting as a Glock 22 .40-caliber pistol and a 9mm pistol.
“The firearms got through because they were in the car the suspect’s father drove his son to school in,” Nepomuceno told DAILY TRIBUNE in a telephone interview.
He said the father had admitted leaving a bag containing the firearms inside the vehicle.
Nepomuceno said the Customs official had been relieved from his post pending an investigation and that he would travel to Zamboanga to personally speak with him.
“We still do not know the details of how the child obtained his father’s service firearm,” Nepomuceno said, adding that the suspect was addicted to video games.
“He may have been addicted to the Counter-Strike online game. However, the investigation continues,” he added.
He also clarified that only the Glock belonged to the father, leaving investigators to establish who owned the other firearm and how it came into the suspect’s possession.
The issue of firearm ownership has taken on added significance as authorities examine possible lapses in gun safekeeping and school security.
Security review
Nepomuceno said the BoC has ordered a review of compliance with policies governing firearm safety, custody, transport, carrying, storage and safekeeping.
“All units concerned have been required to submit compliance reports within 24 hours,” he said.
He also directed the BoC officials and field offices concerned to conduct a full investigation and gather documents, records, statements and other evidence related to the incident.
Father’s admission
Meanwhile, Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla said the suspect’s father admitted leaving a bag containing the firearms inside his car.
“We find it highly improbable. If you are a uniformed police officer, gun safety is part of your training. You should always have your firearm with you; you do not leave it behind,” Remulla said.
Remulla said the authorities were also looking into whether existing school security protocols allowed the firearms to be brought into the campus undetected.
“School security protocols need to be changed. In private schools, cars entering the premises are not always inspected, while people entering through pedestrian gates are checked,” he said.
The DILG is proposing tighter school security measures, including allowing barangay tanods to establish security posts inside school premises.
Remulla said the DILG and the Department of Education were preparing a memorandum circular covering the proposed measures.
Push for tougher gun laws
Remulla also called on Congress to amend Republic Act 8294, the law commonly known as the Robin Padilla law, to make illegal possession of firearms non-bailable again.
He said firearm owners should face penalties when their registered weapons are used by others to commit crimes due to their negligent safekeeping.
“All gun owners, whether uniformed personnel or private individuals, should face penalties if someone else uses their firearm and kills someone,” Remulla said.
“This is not as simple as a car causing an accident. Lives are at stake, so there should be accessory penalties when someone else uses their firearm,” he added.
Remulla said loose firearms account for the overwhelming majority of incidents and urged Congress to restore stricter penalties for illegal possession.
Takedown of photos, videos ordered
Philippine National Police chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group to coordinate with social media platforms to take down photos and videos related to the shooting.
The attack was livestreamed by the minor suspect.
Nartatez urged netizens, particularly minors, not to share or repost the footage, warning that it could further distress victims and their families and interfere with the investigation.
“This is an unfortunate incident that should be treated with utmost sensitivity, especially since minors were involved. Let us be compassionate and show respect by being responsible netizens,” Nartatez said.
Nartatez said the investigation would also determine how the suspect brought two firearms into the school and examine the circumstances that led to the attack, including whether there was a pattern that could help prevent similar incidents.
“We have to dig deeper into this matter, especially since this is not the first time such a tragedy has happened. Our focus is to determine whether there is a pattern and identify interventions to prevent a repeat,” he said.
Vice President Sara Duterte flew to Zamboanga City following the incident to meet with those affected and pay her respects at the victim’s wake.