CICC, KBP urge public to stop sharing Zamboanga school shooting footage


The Cybercrime Investigation and Coordinating Center (CICC) has appealed to the public to stop reposting and circulating video footage of the shooting incident at Ateneo de Zamboanga University, warning that continued sharing could cause further distress and panic.
In a Facebook post on Tuesday, CICC head Atty. Renato Aboy Paraiso said the agency was closely monitoring social media activity related to the incident, including footage recorded inside the school.
Paraiso said the CICC was coordinating with Meta and other social media platforms to seek the immediate removal of the video.
He said the takedown efforts aim to prevent the footage from further spreading, causing distress and panic, or potentially influencing others to commit similar acts.
“Again, we are calling on you, netizens, not to repost the video related to the incident,” Paraiso said, urging the public not to amplify the material.
He also urged parents to monitor their children’s activities on social media, gaming platforms, and messaging applications, particularly what minors are watching, following, and consuming online.
The CICC said it continues to coordinate with relevant agencies and stakeholders to monitor online activity linked to the incident and take necessary measures.
The appeal came as the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP) separately urged news organizations, journalists, content creators, and social media users to exercise restraint in reporting and sharing material related to the shooting.
In a statement issued Tuesday, the KBP said protecting human dignity and the rights of minors should take precedence over views, likes, and the speed of breaking news.
The group urged the public and media to refrain from posting, sharing, or broadcasting the names, faces, and identifying details of children involved in traumatic events, whether as victims or in other capacities.
The KBP also called for privacy for grieving families and warned against sharing graphic imagery, uncensored media, and intrusive footage of private grief.
It urged those who had already posted unblurred photos, graphic videos, or private details of people involved to delete, blur, or remove the material immediately.
The KBP said sensitivity and safety should take precedence over being the first to report, urging restraint, empathy, and respect for the law in sharing content related to the incident.