Monday, 17 August 2026
Nasdaq -0.00%
Subscribe NowSupport Us

Daily Tribune

Daily Tribune
Subscribe
Monday, 17 August 2026
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Life
  • Show
  • Sports
  • Global Goals
Partner feature

The Philippines' leading digital newspaper.

News
  • Headlines
  • Page three
  • Metro
  • Nation
  • World
  • Dyaryo Tirada
  • Obituary (Remember Me)
  • SONATOTOO (archive)
Opinion
  • All columnists
  • Editorials
  • Guest essays
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Scuttlebutt
Business
  • Shipping
  • Portraits
  • Pep
  • Business Advisories
  • Technology (Tech Talks)
Life
  • Show
  • Food & Drink
  • Getaways
  • Arts & Culture
  • Social Set
  • Spaces
  • Fashion & Beauty
  • The Edit
  • Top Form
  • Next Gen
  • Sacred Space
  • Project Larawan
  • Snaps
Sports
  • Hoops
  • Volley
  • Golf
  • Goal
  • Boxing
  • Tennis
  • Esports
  • Blast

Company

  • SONATOTOO archive
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • Privacy
  • Subscribe
  • Support Us

© 2026 Daily Tribune · tribune.net.ph · Powered by Quintype

NATION

Baligod to bring new ‘witnesses’ to aid Ombudsman cases

Jerod Orcullo·17 August 2026, 9:51 pm·1 MIN READ

Baligod to bring new ‘witnesses’ to aid Ombudsman cases

"Brave 14" lawyer Atty. Levito Baligod

Aram Lascano

Text size

Share

Partner feature

Stay informed

Get Daily Tribune in your inbox

Breaking news, opinion, and business coverage for readers in the Philippines and abroad.

Subscribe to the newsletter

Read next

Baligod bares Maleta boy held

Baligod bares Maleta boy held

What's your take?

Share

Google Preferred Sources

Get more Daily Tribune stories in your search results

Add Daily Tribune as a preferred source on Google Search.

Add to Google

Continue reading

  • Marcos to call Ombudsman for update on Romualdez charges
    Marcos to call Ombudsman for update on Romualdez charges
  • Baligod, 18 ex-soldiers set for arraignment in Metro Manila courts
    Baligod, 18 ex-soldiers set for arraignment in Metro Manila courts
  • Castro challenges Erice to face-to-face talk over Marcos claims
    Castro challenges Erice to face-to-face talk over Marcos claims
Partner feature
Partner feature
Partner feature

Suggested Articles

‘Kulang pa ’yun’: Castro on grave threats charge vs Sara Duterte
NEWS

‘Kulang pa ’yun’: Castro on grave threats charge vs Sara Duterte

Malacañang on Thursday maintained that the grave threats case against Vice President Sara Duterte can proceed alongside…

Hannah Cuyno·13 August 2026

OMB is not a Manila office
OPINION

OMB is not a Manila office

A genuine fight against corruption, then, must be a whole-of-nation effort. It needs provincial offices with teeth,…

Jose Dominic F. Clavano IV·11 August 2026

Leviste invokes right to silence in NBI ‘honeytrap’ probe
NATION

Leviste invokes right to silence in NBI ‘honeytrap’ probe

Batangas 1st District Rep. Leandro Leviste invoked his right to remain silent in connection with the National Bureau of…

Alvin Murcia·11 August 2026

Kapunan calls out defense over delays in receipt comparison
NATION

Kapunan calls out defense over delays in receipt comparison

Prosecution counsel Atty. Lorna Kapunan called out the defense team for allegedly failing to respond on time, citing…

Arianna Mercado·11 August 2026

P60-B Cebu infra projects probe eyed
PAGE THREE

P60-B Cebu infra projects probe eyed

The Office of the Ombudsman is now investigating at least P60 billion worth of flood control projects in Cebu.

Rico Osmeña·10 August 2026

    • Ombudsman
    • Atty. Levito Baligod

    Atty. Levito Baligod said he plans to bring additional witnesses before the Office of the Ombudsman to aid its investigation into widespread corruption in government.

    “There are new witnesses that we will include in the build-up of cases. Until they submit their affidavits, I cannot share with the public who these additional witnesses are,” Baligod told reporters.

    Baligod, who previously served as legal counsel for Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) whistleblower Benhur Luy, was the lawyer who introduced to the public the 18 alleged former bodyguards of former party-list representative Zaldy Co, who have been dubbed the “Brave 18.”

    The individuals claimed they performed various tasks for Co, including delivering cash-filled luggage to several lawmakers. The money was allegedly sourced from kickbacks from infrastructure projects.

    Among the public officials identified by the group were President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., former House Speaker Martin Romualdez, and former Senate President Francis “Chiz” Escudero. The group also alleged that the officials were involved in a scheme related to the bribery of the International Criminal Court (ICC).

    The bagmen’s testimonies have since been used by the Ombudsman in building its “grand case” against Romualdez, whom the investigative body has identified as one of the alleged masterminds of the multibillion-peso corruption scandal.

    However, in a recent development, four of the 18 individuals recanted their public statements, saying they made the allegations after being promised financial rewards.

    Despite the setback, Baligod expressed confidence that the witnesses and their testimonies could still help the Ombudsman hold accountable government officials who allegedly misused public funds.

    “We can hope that we can build strong cases against the individuals that abused public funds. And if we hold them accountable, we can hope that we will have a brighter future as a country,” he said.

    Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla has said that the case against Romualdez has already been submitted for preliminary investigation, with the former House Speaker ordered to respond to the allegations.

    Romualdez is accused of committing acts that may constitute plunder, direct and indirect bribery, graft, and money laundering in connection with an alleged P56-billion infrastructure kickback scheme spanning 2022 to 2025.

    Romualdez and his camp have repeatedly denied the allegations, maintaining that the Ombudsman’s investigation is prejudiced against him.

    Also read

    Baligod bares Maleta boy held
    NEWS

    Baligod bares Maleta boy held

    Lawyer Levito Baligod said one of the alleged bodyguards of former Partylist Representative Zaldy Co was being “restrained” at an…

    Jerod Orcullo·15 August 2026

    Also read

    Baligod: One of Co bodyguards being ‘restrained’
    NATION

    Baligod: One of Co bodyguards being ‘restrained’

    Atty. Levito Baligod said that one of the alleged bodyguards of former partylist representative Zaldy Co was being “restrained” in an…

    Jerod Orcullo·14 August 2026