DepEd vows support for family of student killed in Las Piñas school stabbing



Nartatez stressed that protecting power distribution is vital to national security and the economy.

During the escape attempt, the motorcycle struck an officer, knocking him to the ground and causing injuries.

Local officials, historical groups and descendants of national heroes gathered Sunday to mark the 130th anniversary of…

The Maritime Industry Authority (Marina) convened the first National Task Force coordination meeting for the…

According to the department, the initiative aims to improve internal coordination and build a more responsive…
The Department of Education (DepEd) on Sunday pledged full assistance to the family of a 13-year-old student who was fatally stabbed by a classmate inside Las Piñas National High School Main (LPNHS) last week, as authorities continue investigating one of the latest violent incidents to shake the country's public school system.
In a statement, DepEd expressed condolences to the victim’s family and the school community, describing the incident as a tragic loss.
“The Department of Education mourns the heartbreaking loss of our learner. We extend our deepest condolences to the family and the entire school community,” the agency said.
According to reports, the Grade 9 student was allegedly stabbed by his 14-year-old classmate inside the school premises after a dispute involving P10 in change from a bottled water purchase at the school canteen.
“Schools must be sanctuaries. Violence on our campus is unacceptable and demands accountability and collective action,” DepEd said.
The department said it has mobilized support measures for those affected by the incident, including psychosocial interventions and coordination with authorities.
“We are extending full support to the victim’s family, deploying trauma counseling for affected learners and staff, cooperating fully with law enforcement, and conducting a thorough review of campus security protocols,” it said.
DepEd added that ensuring the safety of learners requires cooperation among schools, families, communities and law enforcement agencies, reiterating its commitment to maintaining schools as safe spaces for children.
The victim’s family, meanwhile, said they intend to pursue legal action against the suspect and are seeking accountability over possible lapses in school safety measures.
The 14-year-old suspect has been classified as a child in conflict with the law (CICL) and is currently under the custody of a Bahay Pag-asa facility, where he is undergoing evaluation in accordance with the Juvenile Justice and Welfare Act.