Japan avoiding Taduran like the plague
Images of Pedro Taduran’s beatdown of Ginjiro Shigeoka leave Japan fighters cold on bringing him there to defend the IBF title.
Photograph courtesy of UKC
Images of Pedro Taduran’s beatdown of Ginjiro Shigeoka leave Japan fighters cold on bringing him there to defend the IBF title.
Photograph courtesy of UKC

CAGAYAN DE ORO — With momentum likely to prove decisive in a three-day team battle, the North and South brace for a…

David Licauco stole the show in the Quezon City leg of the Rexona 10 Miler Series 2026, topping the 5K race on Sunday…

The President should make this the defining political reform of his administration — and begin with a personal…

A “self-made tech billionaire,” once hailed by the local business press as the next Philippine “Bill Gates,” is now a…

The June figure, which marked a 10.7 percent rebound from the previous month’s 12-month low, rose 1.8 percent from…
It now appears that Pedro Taduran is no longer wanted in Japan.
Not because the Filipino world champion is boring.
“They don’t want to have anything to do with him,” American dealmaker Sean Gibbons told DAILY TRIBUNE on Tuesday.
Taduran is due to make a mandatory defense of his International Boxing Federation (IBF) minimumweight crown and the identity of his next challenger will be known soon.
“The IBF is releasing its latest ratings anytime soon and we’d know who’s Taduran’s fighting when the new rankings are out,” Gibbons said.
Chinese Zhu Dianxing is the official mandatory contender but promotional and managerial issues have made him unavailable for a proposed clash with Taduran in late-October.
Upon being told of Zhu’s predicament, Gibbons reached out to the people handling the other ranked Japanese boxers.
“None of them want that (IBF) belt that Pedro has,” said Gibbons, noting that Taduran’s two brutal wins over Ginjiro Shigeoka remain fresh in their minds.
First time Taduran beat Shigeoka, he was awarded a ninth-round technical knockout when they rumbled in Otsu City exactly two years ago.
In the rematch, Shigeoka went the distance when he faced Taduran in Osaka in May last year but he was so badly hurt that he collapsed and was brought to the hospital.
Shigeoka had to undergo a brain operation before being allowed to go home nine months later.
Given his condition, Shigeoka will no longer fight again.
Meanwhile, Taduran has reported back in training to get ready for the mandatory defense.