IMO chief urges safe departure of trapped ships
Nearly 6,000 seafarers remain stranded onboard vessels stranded in the Persian Gulf.

Nearly 6,000 seafarers remain stranded onboard vessels stranded in the Persian Gulf.


Immigration officers intercepted 14 suspected human trafficking victims and two recruiters at Manila and Clark airports…
The peso weakened 3 centavos or 0.05 percent to P61.815 per US dollar on Wednesday, briefly touching a new record…

There are individuals who dance to express themselves and make them seen, while there are some who quietly and steadily…

CITY OF SAN FERNANDO, Pampanga — Mayor Vilma Caluag has ordered the extension of the suspension of face-to-face classes…

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) rescued 14 suspected trafficking victims who were allegedly recruited to work in Russia…
International Maritime Organization (IMO) Secretary-General Arsenio Dominguez on Wednesday urged concerned states to facilitate the safe departure of ships still trapped in the Strait of Hormuz as the United States ends its ceasefire with Iran.
Dominguez also called on all states concerned to exercise maximum restraint and de-escalate the situation without delay following recent attacks on commercial ships and innocent seafarers.
“I condemn the attacks over the past two days against several ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz,” the IMO head said.
“These reckless attacks have again placed innocent seafarers in grave danger. No seafarer should have to risk their life simply for doing their job.”
“As long as the safety and security of crews cannot be assured, I urge flag States, shipowners, operators and all relevant authorities to avoid exposing seafarers to unnecessary danger by transiting the Strait,” Dominguez added.
The situation in the region remains volatile. These attacks further intensify the fear, uncertainty and psychological strain already being endured by the nearly 6,000 seafarers who remain stranded onboard vessels unable to depart the Persian Gulf safely since the beginning of the conflict in the Middle East on 28 February.
An “unknown projectile” struck and caused a fire on an oil tanker off the coast of Oman near the Strait of Hormuz on Monday, British maritime security agency United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said, according to Agence France-Presse.
The incident occurred near one of the world’s most important energy shipping routes, despite a ceasefire between the US and Iran and ongoing efforts to secure a lasting peace agreement.
The UKMTO said the incident took place eight nautical miles east of Limah, Oman.
“A tanker has reported being hit by an unknown projectile on the port side causing a fire, whilst traveling southbound,” UKMTO said in a post on X.
US news outlet Axios reported late Monday that Iran had “fired at least two missiles at commercial ships,” citing two unnamed US officials.
One of the officials told the outlet that a second ship was also struck, and had been damaged significantly.
AFP has not been able to independently confirm the Axios report.