Yemen separatist chief vows independent state
‘With your will, the future state will be established.’

‘With your will, the future state will be established.’


Opponents are outraged at what they say is a dangerous tool that can be used to infringe on American privacy and civil…

Al-Amanah Islamic Investment Bank of the Philippines is looking beyond its traditional Muslim and Mindanao customer…

NEW DELHI, India (AFP) — New Delhi municipal workers were busy painting over anti-government graffiti on Sunday after…

At least 178 people, including security personnel, were injured in the violence.

Vice President Sara Duterte extended her condolences to the State of Qatar following the death of former Emir Sheikh…
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AFP) — Yemen’s separatist leader has vowed to keep working for an independent state in the country’s south, in his first social media post since he disappeared earlier this month after his group briefly seized swathes of territory.
Aidarous al-Zubaidi’s UAE-backed Southern Transitional Council (STC) forces in December captured two Yemeni provinces in an offensive that was rolled back by Saudi strikes and Riyadh’s allied forces on the ground.
Zubaidi then disappeared after he failed to board a flight to Riyadh for talks in early January, with Saudi Arabia accusing him of fleeing to Abu Dhabi while supporters insisted he was still in Yemen.
“We will no longer accept any solutions that diminish our rights or impose an unacceptable reality upon us,” Zubaidi said in a social media post late Friday addressed to his supporters.
His STC forces at one point essentially dominated most of the formerly independent state of South Yemen, which existed from 1967 to 1990 and which they have sought to reinstate.
The takeover had sparked tensions between Gulf allies Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, who backed rival sides of Yemen’s government.
“I pledge to you... that we will continue together until we achieve the desired national goal,” said Zubaidi.
“With your determination, we will prevail. With your unity, the South will be protected, and with your will, the future state will be established.”
Separatist supporters have continued protest and on Friday turned out in their thousands in the southern Yemeni city of Aden, backing Zubaidi and the STC.
They brandished photographs of Zubaidi, with some chanting against Rashad al-Alimi, who heads Yemen’s Saudi-backed presidential body, and his Saudi backers.
One of the protesters, Hussein Mohammed al-Yafai, told Agence France-Presse he had come out to “reject the illegitimate measures taken by Saudi Arabia... against the South.”
Yemen’s internationally recognized government have since undergone a purge.