DOLE-7 TAPS BARANGAYS FOR SAFETY AID



The Philippine National Police (PNP) vowed Friday to tighten accountability measures for its personnel to prevent…

Philippine National Police chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said Friday the police force would provide personnel…

We must also confront the digital environment in which our children are growing up. This does not necessarily mean…

Pampanga province authorities dispatched emergency supplies to Barangay Panlinlang in Arayat on Thursday after a…
Cebu Governor Pamela Baricuatro ordered immediate preventive security measures across 223 public and 55 private schools…
Citing a surge in work-related accidents across Metro Cebu, the Department of Labor and Employment in Central Visayas (DoLE-7) has enlisted barangay officials and watchmen (tanods) to help enforce occupational safety standards in their communities.
DoLE-7 regional director Roy Buenafe dubbed the new initiative “Occupational Safety Patrol” or “Barangay Ospatrol.”
“We are seeing too many accidents in the Barangays, and most of these are small constructions like houses, where safety rules are often not followed,” Buenafe said in a statement.
The Ospatrol program aims to equip barangay leaders and tanods with basic knowledge of occupational safety rules.
This training will enhance their ability to monitor compliance with safety regulations by various employers, particularly for small construction projects within their areas.
It is set to pilot in Cebu City’s barangays Mabolo and Lahug in the coming weeks.
From January to June this year, DoLE-7 has recorded numerous work-related accidents in Central Visayas, with many involving electrocution, especially in informal and small-scale construction, including home building.
Last week, DoLE-7 issued a work stoppage order against an employer and an ongoing construction project in Barangay Zapatera, Cebu City, after a mason died at a residential building site when he was struck in the head by a falling galvanized iron (GI) pipe.
Buenafe said that the accident occurred due to a lack of compliance with proper safety measures. An administrative penalty of P100,000 will be imposed against the employer.