SUBSCRIBE NOW
SUBSCRIBE NOW

AFP confirms Pulong’s security detail authorized

AFP confirms Pulong’s security detail authorized
Published on

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) confirmed on Thursday that the Commission on Elections (Comelec) has authorized the assignment of military security for Davao City 1st District Rep. Paolo “Pulong” Duterte.

“The AFP confirms that Representative Paolo Duterte has been duly authorized by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to retain a security detail composed of AFP personnel, in accordance with applicable rules and regulations during the election period,” said AFP Public Affairs Office Chief Colonel Xerxes Trinidad in a statement.

Earlier, the Philippine National Police (PNP) identified four bodyguards seen in the viral video of an alleged assault as police officers and Air Force personnel.

In an ambush interview on Wednesday, PNP Chief Police General Rommel Marbil stated that two police officers and two soldiers were visible in the CCTV footage, in which Duterte was seen assaulting a man in a bar in Davao City.

“We saw in the video that there were four, two police officers and two armed forces personnel. The two police officers were not authorized, they were moonlighting,” Marbil explained.

He added that the two police officers seen in the video and their commanders would be discharged from the service for allegedly moonlighting for Duterte.

Meanwhile, Colonel Trinidad said the military is conducting an internal inquiry to verify the identities of the personnel assigned to Duterte’s security.

“The AFP will closely coordinate and cooperate fully with the PNP and other concerned agencies in relation to any inquiries or investigations regarding this matter,” he stressed.

Trinidad emphasized that the AFP is “a professional and disciplined organization committed to upholding the rule of law and ensuring that all personnel conduct themselves in accordance with the highest standards of military service.”

A businessman had earlier filed a complaint before the Department of Justice against Duterte, accusing him of physical injuries and grave threats stemming from a 23 February incident.

In the complaint, Duterte is accused of committing less serious physical injuries and grave threats under the Revised Penal Code. Duterte has chosen not to comment on the complaint filed against him.

Latest Stories

No stories found.
logo
Daily Tribune
tribune.net.ph