Pedro Taduran digs to the body of compatriot Christian Balunan en route to a recent successful defense of the IBF crown.  Photograph courtesy of Viva Promotions
BOXING

Travel advisory

Filipino champs willing to fight on hostile ground

Nick Giongco

Filipino world champions Melvin Jerusalem and Pedro Taduran are drooling over the prospects of fighting two-belt world minimumweight titleholder Oscar Collazo on hostile ground.

Last week, it was reported that Collazo, holder of the World Boxing Organization and World Boxing Association straps, is being targeted to make his homecoming in Puerto Rico sometime in February 2026.

Taduran, the International Boxing Federation champion and Jerusalem, the World Boxing Council titlist, are two of the leading candidates to become Collazo’s next foe.

“As long as I am in good condition, it doesn’t matter to me where the fight’s going to take place,” Taduran told DAILY TRIBUNE on Monday.

Taduran is a road warrior, having fought and challenged for titles on enemy territory a few times.

He beat Ginjiro Shigeoka on Japanese soil two times and once traveled to Guadalupe in Mexico to battle Daniel Valladares to a draw.

Taduran beat compatriot Christian Balunan in 12 rounds last 26 October for the second defense of the championship.

Like Taduran, Jerusalem also has performed quite well overseas except when he failed in his first world title attempt in Thailand in 2017 and in his first clash with Collazo in 2023.

Some of Jerusalem’s big wins took in Japan.

As for a rematch with Collazo, Jerusalem simply can’t help but wish that it happens next year.

“I would like to get one more chance,” Jerusalem said, stressing that he was not in peak form when he tangled with Collazo more than two years ago in the United States since he arrived in America late.

Jerusalem is fresh from making the third defense of the title.

Last 29 October, he outpointed Siyakholwa Kuse of South Africa during the Thrilla in Manila celebrations at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.

So far, negotiations for a Collazo fight has yet to start but given the proximity of the target date for his next fight, talks could commence anytime soon.

Regardless of who’s going to get picked, the unbeaten Collazo will be in for a rough and bumpy ride.