Wednesday, 19 August 2026
Nasdaq -1.12%
Subscribe NowSupport Us

Daily Tribune

Daily Tribune
Subscribe
Wednesday, 19 August 2026
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Life
  • Show
  • Sports
  • Global Goals
Partner feature

The Philippines' leading digital newspaper.

News
  • Headlines
  • Page three
  • Metro
  • Nation
  • World
  • Dyaryo Tirada
  • Obituary (Remember Me)
  • SONATOTOO (archive)
Opinion
  • All columnists
  • Editorials
  • Guest essays
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Scuttlebutt
Business
  • Shipping
  • Portraits
  • Pep
  • Business Advisories
  • Technology (Tech Talks)
Life
  • Show
  • Food & Drink
  • Getaways
  • Arts & Culture
  • Social Set
  • Spaces
  • Fashion & Beauty
  • The Edit
  • Top Form
  • Next Gen
  • Sacred Space
  • Project Larawan
  • Snaps
Sports
  • Hoops
  • Volley
  • Golf
  • Goal
  • Boxing
  • Tennis
  • Esports
  • Blast

Company

  • SONATOTOO archive
  • About
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • Privacy
  • Subscribe
  • Support Us

© 2026 Daily Tribune · tribune.net.ph · Powered by Quintype

BOXING

Suarez getting raw end of deal?

Nick Giongco·18 August 2026, 11:53 pm·1 MIN READ

Suarez getting raw end of deal?

Charly Suarez appears headed to another waiting game as Mexican Emanuel Navarrete looks poised to evade a mandatory defense with the top-ranked Filipino.

Photograph courtesy of Jhay Otamias

Text size

Share

Partner feature

Stay informed

Get Daily Tribune in your inbox

Breaking news, opinion, and business coverage for readers in the Philippines and abroad.

Subscribe to the newsletter

Read next

Suarez getting raw end of deal?

Suarez getting raw end of deal?

What's your take?

Share

Google Preferred Sources

Get more Daily Tribune stories in your search results

Add Daily Tribune as a preferred source on Google Search.

Add to Google

Continue reading

  • Fervent appeal
    Fervent appeal
  • Cheap shot
    Cheap shot
  • title-hungry Suarez makes supreme sacrifice
    title-hungry Suarez makes supreme sacrifice
Partner feature
Partner feature
Partner feature

Suggested Articles

Messi-less Miami torches Chicago Fire
SPORTS

Messi-less Miami torches Chicago Fire

MIAMI (AFP) — Luis Suarez scored twice and Preston Plambeck grabbed a late winner as Inter Miami, without Lionel Messi,…

Agence France-Presse·24 July 2026

Nowhere to run
BOXING

Nowhere to run

Lewkowicz assures Suarez of Navarrete rematch

Nick Giongco·24 July 2026

Give me ‘Vaquero’
BOXING

Give me ‘Vaquero’

Hungry Suarez wants Navarrete showdown

Nick Giongco·21 July 2026

Suarez scores 1st-round KO victory over Avila
BOXING

Suarez scores 1st-round KO victory over Avila

The ball is now in Emanuel Navarrete’s court.

Nick Giongco·20 July 2026

Suarez’s sad story
BOXING

Suarez’s sad story

It’s kind of sad that there is no clear sign that Charly Suarez is going to fulfill his wish anytime soon.

Nick Giongco·26 June 2026

  • Top super-featherweight contender Charly Suarez could end up getting screwed again.

    The Filipino fighter, ranked No. 1 and the World Boxing Organization (WBO) mandatory challenger, might be left out in the cold anew as the 24 October showdown between Mexican Emanuel Navarrete and O’Shaquie Foster is being billed as a three-belt affair set to take place in San Antonio, Texas.

    Apart from the WBO, Navarrete also has the International Boxing Federation strap, having captured it last February when he was allowed to face then-IBF ruler Eduardo Nuñez.

    Foster, who is an American, holds the World Boxing Council titleholder.

    WBO president Gustavo Olivieri told boxingscene on Tuesday that the fight looks like a done deal.

    “I believe the (WBO’s four-person championship) committee will render a decision pursuant to the WBO’s policies, rules and regulations, while serving the best interests of boxing,” Olivieri said.

    Suarez assumed the role of mandatory challenger owing to the dubious ruling of their first fight last year in San Diego, California.

    Suarez should have been declared winner but the WBO overturned the technical decision win for Navarrete into a No-Contest when it should have been a technical knockout victory.

    Navarrete sustained a deep cut on his right eyebrow that worsened and forced the fight’s stoppage by referee Ed Collantes.

    But Collantes ruled that the cut was caused by a clash of heads and not by a legal blow when it was actually a punch.

    • Charly Suarez
    • Emanuel Navarrete
    • WBO mandatory challenger

    Also read

    Suarez getting raw end of deal?
    SPORTS

    Suarez getting raw end of deal?

    Top super-featherweight contender Charly Suarez could end up getting screwed again.

    Nick Giongco·7 hours ago

    Also read

    Suarez urges WBO to make right call
    BOXING

    Suarez urges WBO to make right call

    Charly Suarez is willing to let Emanuel “Vaquero” Navarrete fight a second unification match provided that the Mexican vacates the World…

    Nick Giongco·17 August 2026