Suarez urges WBO to make right call


International Boxing Federation (IBF) mandatory flyweight challenger Miel Fajardo admits he is longing for home.

Former national team standout Mark Ashley Fajardo will make his professional debut in mid-October in General Santos…
Marcial steps up U.S. training

Marcial revives professional career

If Eumir Marcial eventually decides to ditch his professional career, the Association of Boxing Alliances in the…
Charly Suarez is willing to let Emanuel “Vaquero” Navarrete fight a second unification match provided that the Mexican vacates the World Boxing Organization (WBO) super-featherweight title.
In the event Navarrete does that, Suarez and the next leading contender will fight for the vacant throne.
“That’s the best scenario,” Suarez told DAILY TRIBUNE on Monday from his Las Vegas training base.
Suarez’s last fight took place last month when he knocked out Manuel Avila in just one round in San Bernardino, California.
Reports from the United States say that Navarrete and World Boxing Council champion O’Shaqui Foster have agreed to clash for Navarrete’s WBO and International Boxing Federation straps on 24 October in San Antonio, Texas.
Suarez has been the WBO’s mandatory challenger since last year following the controversial ending to their first fight that was later ruled a No-Contest.
Initially, the fight was declared a technical decision victory when referee Ed Collantes flubbed his call, ruling that an accidental clash of heads resulted to a hideous cut on Navarrete’s eyebrow.
But video replay showed that a legit punch caused the wound that led to the stoppage.
It was the California State Athletic Commission that reversed the decision to a No-Contest and the WBO ordered that Navarrete meet Suarez in a rematch.
But Navarrete bought time and reasoned that he needed more time to recover for the wound to heal.
Still, when Navarrete returned to the ring last February, he opted to tangle with fellow Mexican Eduardo Nuñez, who was then the IBF titleholder.
Since it was a unification match, he was allowed to battle Nuñez given that such a fight supersedes a mandatory defense.
But back-to-back unifications?
That’s something Suarez’s camp is contesting.
“They want me to get older and older,” Suarez, who turns 38 on 14 August.
The WBO is set to decide whether Navarrete will get the green light to fight Foster or Suarez will be rewarded with a handsome step-aside fee.
However, Suarez’s stand is different.
“I want a world title fight,” said Suarez, who would gladly figure in a bout for the vacant crown against the next leading contender.
The No. 2 is Liam Wilson of Australia while listed at No. 3 is Kenichi Ogawa of Japan.
“I just hope the WBO makes the right call,” added Suarez.