

The Partido Demokratiko Pilipino–Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, threw its full backing behind Sara Duterte, moments after the Vice President formally declared her bid for the presidency in the 2028 national elections.
“Ako si Sara Duterte, tatakbo bilang pangulo ng Pilipinas (I am Sara Duterte, I will run for president of the Philippines),” Duterte said in a press conference.
Before her speech, the Vice President ordered the removal of the Office of the Vice President logo from the podium and left without taking questions from reporters.
PDP-Laban described Duterte’s decision as “makasaysayan” (historic) and said it “buong pusong sinusuportahan” (wholeheartedly supports) her candidacy.
“Naniniwala ang PDP-Laban na ang ganitong uri ng pamumuno—may puso, may tapang, at may tunay na malasakit—ang kailangan ng ating bansa sa mga darating na taon (PDP Laban believes that this kind of leadership—one with heart, courage, and genuine compassion—is what our country needs in the coming years),” the statement said.
“Kaisa niya ang buong PDP-Laban sa panawagang magkaisa ang sambayanang Pilipino tungo sa isang mas ligtas, mas maunlad, at mas makatarungang kinabukasan para sa lahat (The entire PDP-Laban stands with her in calling on the Filipino people to unite toward a safer, more prosperous, and more just future for all),” it added.
In her five-page speech, Duterte apologized to the public for supporting the 2022 presidential bid of Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
“Mga kababayan, humihingi ako ng paumanhin sa inyong lahat. Patawad kung tinulungan kong mahalal si BBM bilang Pangulo ng ating bansa (My fellow Filipinos, I ask for your forgiveness. I am sorry if I helped elect BBM as President of our country.),” she said.
She accused Marcos of failing to fulfill campaign promises and uphold his sworn duties, citing what she described as persistent corruption and governance failures.
Duterte said she stepped down from her Cabinet post after refusing to be part of the 2025 national budget, which she labeled as “tadtad ng katiwalian” (riddled with corruption).
“Dahil hindi ko kinayang maging bahagi ng 2025 national budget na tadtad ng katiwalian, pinili kong umalis sa Gabinete (Because I could not bear to be part of a 2025 national budget riddled with corruption, I chose to leave the Cabinet),” she said.
The Vice President enumerated what she called the administration’s shortcomings, including rising prices of basic goods, food insecurity, flooding, weak healthcare systems, deteriorating infrastructure, and the persistence of crime, illegal drugs, and terrorism.
“Patuloy ang pagtaas ng presyo ng mga pangunahing bilihin habang nananatiling kapos ang kita ng bawat pamilya (The prices of basic goods continue to rise while the income of every family remains insufficient),” she said.
She also criticized what she described as the lack of a clear and independent foreign policy, warning that the Philippines risks being caught between global superpowers.
Duterte claimed she had been the target of politically motivated investigations and “scripted” congressional inquiries designed to damage her reputation.
“Matagal na akong inaatake gamit ang buong makinarya ng kapangyarihan (I have long been attacked using the full machinery of power),” she said, adding that while she does not fear for herself, she fears for the country’s future and the next generation.
Her presidential bid, she said, is “an offer of service” rather than a plea for sympathy.
“I cannot kneel before each and every Filipino to beg for forgiveness. Instead, I offer my life, my strength, and my future in the service of our nation,” she said.
The announcement comes amid renewed impeachment efforts against Duterte.
On 29 January, she urged the government to “move on” after the Supreme Court of the Philippines affirmed its ruling declaring previous articles of impeachment against her unconstitutional.
However, on 2 February, two new impeachment complaints were filed and later accepted by the House Secretary General. The complaints were transmitted to the Office of Speaker Faustino Dy III.
Also, various religious groups, priests, and lawyers filed on 6 February a third impeachment complaint against Duterte, citing alleged betrayal of public trust and graft, including the supposed misuse of at least P612 million in confidential funds. The complaint was forwarded to the Speaker’s office the following day.
Despite mounting legal and political challenges, PDP-Laban said it stands united behind Duterte’s presidential bid.
“Sama-sama. Tuloy ang laban para sa Inang Bayan! (Together. The fight continues for the Motherland!)," the party said.