DOJ: Court agreed with prosecutors’ findings in Atong Ang case



Prosecutors from the Department of Justice (DoJ) underwent a three-day online seminar to strengthen their ability to…

Prosecutors of the Department of Justice (DOJ) undergo an online seminar to enhance their expertise in investigating…

The government will limit sugar imports to volumes needed to cover temporary supply gaps as it seeks to stabilize…

BAGUIO CITY — Public Works Secretary Vince Dizon said he will order an investigation into a rocknetting project along…

The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) flagged 25 of 65 gasoline stations tested during the first three days of its…
The Department of Justice on Wednesday said the court agreed with the findings of prosecutors against businessman Charlie “Atong” Ang, prompting the issuance of arrest warrants.
Justice Department spokesperson Atty. Polo Martinez said the judge’s decision to authorize the warrants showed concurrence with the DOJ resolution indicting Ang and several others over the disappearance of multiple cockfighting enthusiasts.
“We can say that the judge agreed with the findings of the prosecutors in the resolution,” Martinez said.
He explained that prosecutors are required to establish “prima facie evidence with reasonable certainty of conviction” before filing charges, a standard higher than the “probable cause” required of courts to issue arrest warrants.
Martinez added that while judges must independently determine probable cause based on the prosecutors’ resolution, courts are not ordinarily required to issue a separate written explanation once a warrant is released.
On Tuesday, a Regional Trial Court in Sta. Cruz, Laguna issued arrest warrants against Ang and others after the DOJ indicted them last month.
They are facing non-bailable charges of kidnapping with homicide.