DOJ indicts Atong Ang in sabungero abduction cases



The provincial government has placed Bulacan under a state of calamity due to damage caused by the enhanced southwest…

AI becomes beneficial when it supports the architect’s thinking, not when it replaces it.

Charlie Fleming is ready to make her 18th birthday extra memorable as she prepares for a debut that she promises will…

FPolice arrested a 21-year-old Chinese national Thursday morning after he allegedly assaulted a security guard and…

Senator Christopher “Bong” Go has provided assistance to 118 families affected by a recent fire in Barangay 51, Pasay…
The Department of Justice (DOJ) has found prima facie evidence with a reasonable certainty of conviction to charge businessman Charlie “Atong” Ang and 25 others in connection with the disappearance of several cockfighting enthusiasts, or sabungeros, between 2021 and 2022.
In a resolution, the DOJ said Ang and his co-respondents are being indicted on multiple counts of kidnapping with homicide and kidnapping with serious illegal detention, stemming from a series of alleged abductions linked to cockfighting events.
The indictment follows allegations made by Julie “Dondon” Patidongan, a former security chief at several cockfighting arenas linked to Ang. Patidongan tagged Ang and other respondents as being behind the abductions, claiming that more than 100 sabungeros were killed after being taken away.
Ang has denied the accusations.
Aside from Ang, several police officers were also recommended for prosecution, including Police Lieutenant Colonel Ryan Jay Orapa and other ranking officers assigned to anti-crime units. The DOJ said multiple respondents face charges for either kidnapping with homicide or kidnapping with serious illegal detention, while cases against other individuals were dismissed without prejudice, allowing for the refiling of complaints should new evidence emerge.
The controversy involving Ang intensified earlier this year after families of the missing sabungeros filed complaints against him and around 60 others for multiple offenses, including murder and serious illegal detention.
In October, the Office of the City Prosecutor of Mandaluyong dismissed an extortion complaint filed by Ang against Patidongan and fellow whistleblower Alan Bantiles, citing insufficient factual details and lack of evidence. Ang had alleged that the two threatened to implicate him in the disappearances unless he paid P300 million.
The DOJ’s move marks a major development in one of the most closely watched criminal cases linked to the country’s cockfighting industry, placing Ang at the center of a legal battle that could soon move to the courts.