Teodoro, US General Claine discuss stronger defense ties, disaster response



Nigeria records about 300,000 suicide attempts annually, with at least 7,000 deaths.

The release came after a request last week from the government in the DRC, which has recorded more than 5,000 Ebola…

The provincial government has placed Bulacan under a state of calamity due to damage caused by the enhanced southwest…

AI becomes beneficial when it supports the architect’s thinking, not when it replaces it.

The Chinese Embassy in Manila challenged Defense Secretary Gibo Teodoro on Friday to produce proof supporting his…
Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Gilberto “Gibo” Teodoro Jr. welcomed General Dan Caine, chairperson of the U.S. Department of War’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, in a courtesy call on Wednesday at Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City, where both officials reaffirmed the growing defense partnership between Manila and Washington.
According to the DND, Teodoro and Caine’s meeting focused on strengthening bilateral defense cooperation, with discussions centering on expanding operational ties and improving interoperability between the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and U.S. military forces.
“Among the topics covered were operationalizing multilateral cooperation with regional partners, expanding cooperation and information sharing to deepen interoperability between the AFP and U.S. military forces,” the DND said in a statement.
The talks also explored ways to enhance Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Response (HADR) operations, particularly in light of the impact of Typhoon Tino, which recently affected parts of the country.
Caine’s visit comes on the heels of Teodoro’s meeting with U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth during a defense ministers’ gathering in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, last week.
That engagement led to the establishment of Task Force Philippines, a new joint initiative aimed at boosting operational cooperation, improving combined planning, and enhancing military interoperability, especially in the South China Sea.
Teodoro earlier said the newly launched ‘Task Force Philippines’ with the US is expected to strengthen credible deterrence as well as improve disaster response by streamlining coordination and actions across all related agencies.
Both sides also underscored the importance of maintaining open communication and sustained collaboration to ensure regional stability and strengthen mutual defense commitments under the Philippines-U.S. alliance.
Earlier today, U.S. Ambassador MaryKay Carlson offered her condolences to those impacted by Typhoon Tino and the Philippine Air Force crash, affirming that the United States is ready to support ongoing relief efforts.
“My heart goes out to everyone affected by Typhoon Tino’s devastation. We extend our deepest sympathies to the families and friends of those who lost their lives, and we honor the courage of the first responders working tirelessly on the ground,” Carlson said on X (formerly Twitter).
At least 66 people have been confirmed dead, most of them due to flash floods in Cebu, which was still recovering from a deadly earthquake that struck in late September.