

The Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) submitted an Interim Report and Recommendations to the Office of the Ombudsman on Wednesday following its investigation into the misuse of Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) funds for flood control projects.
Government officials named in the report include Senator Joel Villanueva, Senator Jinggoy Estrada, former congressman Zaldy Co, Commission on Audit (COA) official Mario Lipana, former Caloocan representative Mitch Cajayon-Uy, and former DPWH undersecretary Roberto Bernardo.
These individuals were recommended to face charges of plunder, bribery, and corruption.
According to ICI Chairperson Andres Reyes, the report and recommendations were based on witness testimonies describing a scheme in which the alleged involved lawmakers would inform DPWH Engineer Henry Alcantara that they had budget allocations for infrastructure projects.
Reyes noted that the scheme often involved flood control projects because of their larger kickbacks—ranging from 25 to 35 percent—compared to the 10 percent typically seen in other infrastructure projects.
Bulacan District Engineer Brice Hernandez would then prepare a list of projects based on the proponents’ budgets. This list would be forwarded to Engineer Carlo Rivera, who would then transmit it either to the DPWH Regional Office in Bulacan or directly to the proponents.
Reyes explained that if the list was forwarded to the DPWH Regional Director, it would be included in the National Expenditure Program (NEP). However, if given to the involved lawmakers, they would insert the projects into the House General Appropriations Bill (HGAB) or through bicameral insertions that would later appear in the General Appropriations Act (GAA).
Furthermore, Reyes said that an advance payment of 10 percent of the budget allocation would be made once the NEP was released, while another 15 percent would be paid to the proponents when the GAA was passed. If the insertions were included in the GAA, the entire 25 percent “SOP” would be given to the proponent.
The 25 percent payoff, according to Reyes, was usually advanced by the contractor to ensure the project would be awarded to them.
Reyes emphasized that no one will be spared in the fight against corruption, including government officials.
“Politicians and government officials will be investigated and charged based on credible evidence,” Reyes said.
“Those found responsible will face the consequences and be held accountable under the rule of law,” he added.
Meanwhile, Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla welcomed the ICI’s findings, saying the output would help expedite the preliminary investigations since both the ICI and the Department of Justice (DOJ) had already conducted much of the fact-finding.