COA flags P309M ‘ghost’ flood projects in Bulacan



Now the floods and the elephantine question in the room — who should answer for the stolen flood control money — are…

Why did a private entity take charge of the billions in public funds when a legitimate government agency was fully…

Senator Panfilo Lacson on Thursday branded the so-called “leadership fund” allegedly distributed among senators in 2024…

The very projects intended to protect Filipinos from nature’s fury appear to have been turned by some into a feeding…

So now, we build the ark. An ark for the Filipino who works, pays taxes, and asks only for a government that serves him.
The Commission on Audit (COA) has uncovered over P309 million worth of allegedly irregular flood control projects in Bulacan that were either not built or constructed in the wrong locations.
New audit reports submitted to the Independent Commission on Infrastructure (ICI) flagged irregularities in four projects under the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Bulacan 1st District Engineering Office (DEO).
“These audit findings will aid the ICI in its investigation of irregularities in government infrastructure projects,” COA said on Friday, adding that “more individuals may be held liable as the audit progresses, and new information becomes available.”
Two projects awarded to SYMS Construction Trading, costing a combined P138.9 million, were flagged as ghost projects. One was a P46.35-million flood control structure along the Balagtas River in Barangay San Juan. COA said the DPWH-Bulacan 1st DEO paid the full contract cost despite the absence of actual work. Inspectors noted that the structure on site was made of unsuitable materials with exposed steel bars.
The second SYMS project, a P92.58-million flood control structure along Maycapiz-Taliptip River, was reported as fully completed and paid, but COA said no structure existed during an ocular inspection.
A third project—a P96.49-million riverbank protection structure in Barangay Piel, Baliuag, by L.R. Tiqui Builders, Inc. and M3 Konstract Corp.—duplicated an existing structure. COA said the site did not match the DPWH as-built plans, and the work failed to meet specifications.
The fourth project, a P74.11-million riverbank protection structure in Barangay Carillo, Hagonoy, by Darcy & Anna Builders & Trading, also did not exist.
In all four cases, COA said the DPWH-Bulacan 1st DEO failed to provide critical supporting documents for validation. Those found liable include District Engineer Henry C. Alcantara, Assistant District Engineer Brice Ericson D. Hernandez, several DPWH engineers, and officials from the construction firms.
COA said they may face charges for graft and corruption, malversation, falsification of documents, and violations of procurement and audit laws.
So far, COA has submitted 25 Fraud Audit Reports to oversight bodies, including 12 to the ICI and nine to the Office of the Ombudsman.