SUBSCRIBE NOW SUPPORT US

Marcos reviewing complaint vs. BI chief

PRESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said he is looking into the complaints filed by Bureau of Immigration (BI) employees against Commissioner Joel Anthony Viado.
PRESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said he is looking into the complaints filed by Bureau of Immigration (BI) employees against Commissioner Joel Anthony Viado. Photo courtesy of MPC Pool
Published on

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Monday said he is reviewing a complaint filed by Bureau of Immigration (BI) employees against Commissioner Joel Anthony Viado over his alleged mishandling of deportation cases involving Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGOs).

The letter sent to Malacañang accused Viado of corruption and misconduct in dealing with foreign nationals linked to POGO operations. It warned that failure to act on the issue could lead to deeper corruption and potentially “tarnish” the administration.

Viado has denied the allegations, dismissing them as part of a smear campaign.

While Marcos confirmed that he is looking into the complaint, he admitted the process is complicated due to the document being unsigned and lacking specific details.

"First, we’re looking at it but you know this is… mahirap mapag-aralan ng mabuti kung white paper na hindi pinirmahan at saka walang specifics (it’s hard to assess if it’s a white paper that’s unsigned and lacks specifics)," Marcos said. "But nonetheless, everything like this, we look into it and we will continue to do that."

In a statement, Viado said he welcomes any investigation by proper government agencies.

The complaint stemmed from an incident involving the raided RiRance Building in Tambo, Parañaque City, which previously housed a POGO hub. Viado was accused of issuing a release order for three Chinese nationals — Wang Qixin, Chen Jiangsong, and Luo Shangfen — allegedly influential figures behind the operation.

It also alleged that Viado blocked the transfer of the three to the BI Warden Facility in Bicutan, detaining them instead at the bureau’s main office.

Viado, meanwhile, said the bureau has identified those behind the alleged smear campaign and plans to disclose their identities “at the appropriate time and venue.”

“We have kept the Honorable Secretary of Justice aware of these developments, as well as the identity and the motives of the parties behind this smear campaign,” he said.

Latest Stories

No stories found.
logo
Daily Tribune
tribune.net.ph