Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jonvic Remulla on Tuesday confirmed that six personnel from the Philippine National Police–Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) have been identified as suspects in the embezzlement of P13.45 million in monetary evidence seized during the illegal POGO raid in Bagac, Bataan on 29 October 2024.
Remulla said the findings were the result of a focused and thorough investigation into the chain of custody and accountability of every officer who handled the seized funds.
“After careful investigation, the 6 members involved in the pilferage of evidence have been identified. The chain of custody has been studied and perfected and we have now determined who the real culprits are,” Remulla said in a press conference at Camp Crame in Quezon City.
According to the PNP, a total of P141,133,483 was confiscated after a joint operation by the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Commission and the CIDG Anti-Organized Crime Unit implementing Republic Act 9208, or the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act, at the Central One Compound in Bagac, Bataan.
The Court later ruled the search illegal and ordered the release of the One Bataan compound and the seized funds. Before the turnover was completed, CIDG discovered that the cash evidence stored at the Anti-Organized Crime Unit was incomplete and that no proper turnover had been conducted.
Reports showed that nine boxes were unsealed in the presence of One Bataan’s legal counsel, during which over P13 million was found missing from the supposed P141 million. Several boxes reportedly contained counterfeit bills or boodle money instead of the original cash.
“It was held in custody by several police officers and when the court ruled that the search was illegal, the money was returned to the owners. Upon opening of the evidence, out of the 141 million, only 128 million was left. What was left in the other box was boodle money, fake money,” the DILG chief stressed.
Criminal and administrative cases are now being prepared against the CIDG officers involved. The PNP stated that investigations remain ongoing and confirmed that all six have been placed under restrictive custody.
Present during the briefing were PNP Acting Chief Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr., CIDG Acting Director Robert Alexander Morico II, and NAPOLCOM Vice Chairperson Atty. Rafael Vicente Calinisan.