The Games and Amusements Board “will open an investigation” over alleged the fight-fixing that marred Johnriel Casimero’s recent bout in Kyrgyzstan, GAB chairman Francisco Rivera said on Saturday.
“We received two emails requesting us to investigate if there was game fixing in the last Casimero fight,” Rivera said in relation to Casimero’s featherweight fight with Japanese Kyonosuke Kameda in the Kyrgyz capital of Bishkek last 25 October.
The decision of the GAB to look into the matter stemmed from what Casimero’s brother and lead trainer Jason said in a social media post that has been deleted.
Still, the GAB chief managed to watch the now-deleted video wherein Jason said in Tagalog — not his mother tongue — that losing (deliberately) is part of a bigger plan to revive the immensely-popular Filipino boxer’s ring future.
Even Rivera acknowledged that Casimero didn’t look as if he was throwing the fight away since it was clear that he was aggressive from the get-go.
Casimero was fighting for the first time in a year after a 12-month ban by the Japan Boxing Commission for coming in overweight against Saul Sanchez of the US last year in Yokohama.
Kameda, who also fights out of the promotional outfit of his cousin Koki Kameda like Casimero, lost on a 10-round decision.
The massive betting favorite, Casimero started strong while Kameda, aware of his opponent’s punching power, took a defensive approach before gradually becoming more aggressive towards the end.
While Jason’s statements may have been lost in translation, the GAB insists that the agency would still order a probe.
“We will gather evidence and summon him (Casimero),” Rivera said.
“Game fixing is a serious offense and, if proved, will merit a revocation of license as penalty,” he added.
A three-division world champion, the Leyte-born Casimero, turning 37 early next year, holds a 34-5-1 win-loss-draw record with 23 knockouts.
Once regarded as one of the super-bantamweight division’s premier punchers, Casimero has gone on a tailspin after his decision to sever ties with the well-connected American dealmaker Sean Gibbons in 2021.