Outgoing National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) director Jaime B. Santiago confirmed Monday that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has accepted his irrevocable resignation and told personnel a new director would be appointed shortly.
Addressing bureau personnel for the final time, Santiago offered a salute.
“Thank you very much. Let me salute you for this last moment,” he said.
Santiago disclosed that he was informed Monday that his resignation had been accepted and that a new director would be named “within the day, tomorrow, or within the week.”
“So within day or these days to come, an order will be released, you will have a new leader,” he told the NBI personnel.
Santiago, who declined to name his successor to avoid spreading false information, had submitted his resignation in a letter dated 15 April, making it effective “immediately upon the appointment of my reliever, in order not to disrupt the smooth flow of operations.”