

Senator Bam Aquino criticized the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) on Thursday for completing only 60 classrooms in 2025, calling the performance “completely unacceptable” and urging Congress to pass the proposed Classroom-Building Acceleration Program (CAP) Act. The bill is designed to address the country’s severe classroom shortage within six years.
During the interpellation on Senate Bill 1482, Aquino argued that the DPWH’s underperformance stemmed from mismanagement and misplaced spending priorities, particularly the agency’s heavy focus on flood control projects in recent years.
DPWH officials had previously disclosed in an October budget hearing that they had completed only 22 classrooms against a 2025 target of 1,700.
“Honestly, I think it was mismanaged in the past three years,” Aquino told Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo Lacson. “Flood control projects are being funded, but the classrooms, the most basic need in our country, remain unfunded. To have accomplishments of 30, 40, or 60 a year is simply unacceptable.”
Aquino said the CAP Act is designed to close the nationwide classroom gap, estimated at 165,443, while also accounting for classrooms repeatedly damaged by natural disasters and the yearly increase in student enrollment.
The bill proposes spending P90 billion annually for six years, setting a price cap of P1.8 million per classroom. Aquino noted that this is significantly lower than the DPWH’s current reported cost of P3.5 million per classroom. At the proposed rate, he estimates the government could construct around 39,000 classrooms annually.
Under the CAP Act, Aquino proposes allowing local government units (LGUs) and credible civil society organizations (CSOs) to take on classroom construction using national funds, provided they meet the Department of Education’s standards.
“Previously, DPWH alone built the classrooms, and that led to only 60 classrooms being finished for this year,” he said. “LGUs, CSOs, and even Public-Private Partnerships can help. We could try and monitor that.”
While DepEd would still channel part of its budget to the DPWH, Aquino stressed the need for a strict price cap.
“If we have a price cap of P1.8 million, all modalities must adhere to that price or lower,” he said, adding that DPWH Secretary Vince Dizon has expressed interest in re-engaging with the program under better systems.
Aquino also welcomed the passage of the P1.38 trillion education budget — the highest in Philippine history — saying it could significantly ease classroom shortages and strengthen student nutrition programs.