SUBSCRIBE NOW
SUBSCRIBE NOW

HARD-EARNED WIN

Pedro Taduran brawls his way to a 12-round split decision win over Ginjiro Shigeoka of Japan in their IBF minimumweight title showdown on Saturday in Osaka.
Pedro Taduran brawls his way to a 12-round split decision win over Ginjiro Shigeoka of Japan in their IBF minimumweight title showdown on Saturday in Osaka.PHOTOGRAPHS COURTESY OF WENDELL ALINWA
Published on

OSAKA, Japan — As Pedro Taduran was celebrating his 12-round split decision victory on Saturday, fallen Japanese challenger Ginjiro Shigeoka was being carried out of the ring on a stretcher.

“I just hope that he’s okay,” Taduran told DAILY TRIBUNE after retaining the International Boxing Federation (IBF) minimumweight crown for the first time at the INTEX Osaka.

There was no word about Shigeoka’s condition at press time but it was apparent that he and his team and the rest of those in attendance knew that he got in a tough fight.

It was earlier suspected that Shigeoka ran out of gas and was dead-tired from the relentless pressure of Taduran, who later admitted that he wasn’t sure if he had done enough to impress the three judges.

“The first four rounds were tough for me that’s why I had to step up the attack,” Taduran said, who was favored by Japanese Katsuhiko Nakamura and Filipino Gil Co.

A third judge — Dave Braslow of the United States — went in favor of Shigeoka.

Nakamura scored it 118-110 while Co also saw it for Taduran, 115-113. Braslow called it 115-113 for Shigeoka, who was attempting to exact vengeance on his volume-punching Filipino foe.

Taduran was hoping to repeat his last years ninth-round stoppage of Shigeoka but found himself ranged against a much-better prepared and determined rival.

Instead of wilting under Taduran’s intense pressure, Shigeoka stood toe-to-toe at times and made the champion miss badly with his overhand lefts.

Even though Taduran missed a lot, he was undeterred.

He just kept on throwing punches, leaving Shigeoka with no other choice but to either defend or respond in kind.

Taduran, who improved to 18-4-1 win-loss-draw with 13 knockouts, was not embarrassed to say that he Shigeoka was a worthy challenger.

“I got hit a few times on my body but I just pretended not to be affected,” Taduran, 28, said.

“Those punches hurt a lot.”

What made it even difficult for Taduran to post another abbreviated win was Shigeoka’s durability and solid skill set.

“He was really good and at the same time very tough.”

The rematch was a far cry from the lopsided ending of their first fight in July last year in Otsu City where Taduran was the dominant fighter.

Shigeoka was also stretchered out of the ring in that fight.

But this latest one doesn’t look good for Shigeoka and his second straight trip to the hospital in an ambulance could signal an end to his career unless doctors think otherwise.

As for Taduran, the future looks bright and a unification showdown with Oscar Collazo of Puerto Rico is a huge probability.

Taduran arrived at the venue almost four hours before the fight, allowing him to take a nap before officials began coming inside the dressing room.

He arrived here last Sunday oozing with confidence.

While he didn’t get the result that he wanted, it was still a big win, something that’s going to propel him to bigger things.

Latest Stories

No stories found.
logo
Daily Tribune
tribune.net.ph