SUBSCRIBE NOW SUPPORT US

Modernization of Phl military needed for self-reliance — Palace

Press Officer Usec. Claire Castro held a press briefing on 25 February 2025, at the New Executive Building in Malacañang Palace, Manila, addressing key national concerns. She clarified that the government is not erasing the EDSA People Power commemoration despite declaring 25 February a special working day, emphasizing that institutions remain free to observe it.
Press Officer Usec. Claire Castro held a press briefing on 25 February 2025, at the New Executive Building in Malacañang Palace, Manila, addressing key national concerns. She clarified that the government is not erasing the EDSA People Power commemoration despite declaring 25 February a special working day, emphasizing that institutions remain free to observe it. Photo by Yummie Dingding | Daily Tribune
Published on

Malacañang on Wednesday underscored the importance of continuing the modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to ensure the country does not become overly reliant on its allies.

This was stated by Palace Press Officer and Presidential Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro during a press briefing on Wednesday, following remarks by Philippine Ambassador to the United States Jose Manuel Romualdez that the country needs to strengthen its military after Washington suspended its assistance to Ukraine.

"Yes, dapat lamang po. May ally tayo o wala tayong ally, kailangan din po nating i-prepare iyong sarili natin. Iyong AFP modernization ay talagang kailangan po natin iyan para hindi naman tayo masyadong umaasa sa ating mga allies (Yes, that should be the case. With or without an ally, we should prepare ourselves. We really need the AFP modernization so we will not depend on our allies),” Castro told reporters. 

Romualdez had pointed out that the shifting dynamics in international relations now position the Philippines to play a more critical role in the region.

Amid the ongoing situation in Ukraine, he clarified that the Philippines will not be affected by any suspension of military aid, as confirmed by the US government.

Romualdez said Washington’s existing commitments remain in place, with the US pledging up to $500 million in foreign military financing to support the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG).

“The whole amount has been already approved for exemption,” he added. 

The Armed Forces of the Philippines previously said several key projects under its modernization program will continue, following the US’ decision to exempt part of its foreign military assistance to the country.

The $336 million in foreign assistance was excluded from the aid freeze as ordered by US President Donald Trump.

AFP Public Affairs chief Col. Xerxes Trinidad said the funds will be allocated for the AFP’s modernization initiatives, specifically for the “acquisition and development” of Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA) sites and other related military programs.

Latest Stories

No stories found.
logo
Daily Tribune
tribune.net.ph