No word yet from disbanded Dragons

Kobey Lam of Bay Area (being guarded by Jaime Malonzo) is one of the key players of the squad in last season's PBA Commissioner's Cup campaign. (Photo by PBA Media Bureau)

Kobey Lam of Bay Area (being guarded by Jaime Malonzo) is one of the key players of the squad in last season's PBA Commissioner's Cup campaign. (Photo by PBA Media Bureau)

Gilas braces for Jordanians, Iranians

Filipino-born Wesley So sustained his climb in the world rankings by besting Indian sensation Praggnanandha Rameshmabu…

Cone still mapping out Gilas game plan

Strong Group Athletics (SGA)-Pilipinas head coach Charles Tiu could only shake his head in dismay, not because his team…
Gilas Pilipinas Youth moved one step closer to the 2027 FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup after surviving Syria, 72-63, in…
The Philippine Basketball Association is still waiting for an official communication from Bay Area before tackling its fate in the Commissioner's Cup set to open on 15 October.
PBA commissioner Willie Marcial on Saturday admitted that the Dragons have yet to inform them of their plans amid reports that they have already disbanded ahead of the Commissioner's Cup and the Season 2 of the East Asia Super League.
In a report by the South China Post, a Hong Kong-based newspaper, Bay Area had already terminated the contracts of its players, coaches and staff in preparation for disbandment.
It was such a shocking move as the Dragons just announced that they will be seeing action in the PBA and the EASL in the coming months.
In fact, the Dragons even revealed their roster and stressed that they will be relocating to Hong Kong and will be known as the Chun Yu Bay Area Dragons.
"We're still waiting for formal communication from them, but there were already feelers about this," Marcial told DAILY TRIBUNE in a telephone conversation on Saturday.
The Dragons have been the toasts of the previous Commissioner's Cup.
With National Basketball Association standout Andrew Nicholson and Myles Powell as imports and Olympian Brian Goorjian as head coach, the Dragons made it all the way to the finals but fell prey to Barangay Ginebra San Miguel bannered by Justin Brownlee.
The Dragons committed to return to the league and requested to play some of their matches in Hong Kong for the benefit of their fans in China's special administrative region.
But everything is now in limbo following reports of disbandment.
A DAILY TRIBUNE source said two Filipinos in the Dragons squad — assistant coach Cholo Villanueva and team executive Maya Montecillo — have also yet to be formally informed while Goorjian remains busy coaching Australia in the FIBA Basketball
World Cup.