175 illegal POGOs shuttered
The NBI and the PNP have yet to give their preliminary reports on the closures, Clavano said
The operation of 175 illegal Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators had been stopped by the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. with the help of law enforcement agencies, the Department of Justice revealed Monday.
“As per the list given by PAGCOR, there are at least 175 canceled POGOs. That is as of 14 September 2022. We have no exact numbers regarding the remaining legal ones still operating in the country,” DoJ spokesperson Mico Clavano said.
He also disclosed that Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin “Boying” Remulla has ordered the National Bureau of Investigation and Philippine National Police to run after illegal POGOs.
”Secretary Remulla has directed the NBI, (and) PNP with the assistance of PAGCOR to close down the illegal ones,” said Clavano.
The NBI and the PNP have yet to give their preliminary reports on the closures, he added.
Illegal POGOs had been tagged for involvement in crimes like kidnapping and even homicide.
Legal POGO firms, on the other hand, had been a source of revenue for the government until the Covid-19 pandemic also dampened their operations like it did most other businesses worldwide.
Legally operating POGOs are licensed by PAGCOR and pay corporate and income taxes.
Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/
Follow us on social media