PNP, Pagcor weeding out unlicensed POGOs

September 21, 2022

Philippine National Police chief Gen. Rodolfo Azurin has said they will coordinate closely with the Philippine Amusements and Gaming Corp. to get a list of licensed Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators and their workers.

Azurin said the list would allow the PNP Anti-Kidnapping Group to focus on the unlicensed POGOs that had been involved recently in crimes like kidnapping and the killings of Chinese nationals.

The PNP chief said having the list would spare them the trouble of needing to monitor everyone, licensed and unlicensed POGOs and their respective workers.

Unlicensed POGOs cannot employ workers legally in the country, thus their employees are expected to be without the necessary work permits.

Police operations that included the Department of the Interior and Local Government have led to the closure of several unlicensed POGO firms in Cainta, Rizal and Angeles City, Pampanga.

The unlicensed POGO company in Angeles City was tagged in the kidnapping of 43 of its workers.

Interior and Local Government Secretary Benhur Abalos said during the Angeles City raid that the workers found working onsite were turned over to the Bureau of Immigration for identification and processing or deportation, if they are found to be working in the country illegally.

“So that it will be easier for us to flush out the illegals who can sow crimes here,” Azurin said, explaining why the PNP is coordinating with Pagcor on the list of legitimate POGO firms and their workers.


Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/

Follow us on social media
Facebook: @tribunephl
Youtube: TribuneNow
Twitter: @tribunephl
Instagram: @tribunephl
TikTok: @dailytribuneofficial