PGA ramps up cash prizes
SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) — In response to the challenge of the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series, top golfers will play more often for richer purses in the 2022-2023 US PGA Tour campaign that begins Thursday.
The PGA’s final wrap-around season before returning to a calendar-year format in 2024 opens with American Max Homa defending his crown at the Fortinet Championship at Napa, California.
The upstart LIV Series has caused turmoil in the golf world since its June debut, with record purses and financial guarantees luring several top PGA players.
The PGA responded last month by announcing top players would play against each other more often and in more events each season starting in 2022-2023.
“We’ve all made a commitment to get together more often to make the product more compelling,” said Rory McIlroy, who last month captured his third FedEx Cup playoff title.
“LIV are going to do what they’re going to do. The PGA Tour are just trying to control what they can control and put forward the best product possible.”
“Having the top players in the world competing against each other more often is what everyone wants. And I think once we solve for that, a lot of the rest of the stuff sort of takes care of itself.”
An expanded bonus program for players based on exposure and minimum payouts of $500,000 for every fully-exempt player were other changes aimed at slowing the tide of defections to LIV Golf.
“Every single member of the PGA Tour is going to benefit from the changes we’re going to be making,” PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said.
Dustin Johnson, Cameron Smith, Patrick Reed, Bryson DeChambeau, Bubba Watson, Joaquin Niemann, Sergio Garcia and Phil Mickelson were among the players who joined LIV Golf. The PGA Tour gave them indefinite bans.
An anti-trust lawsuit involving LIV Golf and some of its players has a January 2024 court date.
Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/
Follow us on social media