Comelec ready for Maguindanao plebiscite

September 13, 2022

The Commission on Elections is gearing up for the 17 September plebiscite that will ratify or reject a law dividing Maguindanao province into two.

Maguindanao election supervisor Atty. Udtog Tago said that its’ “all systems go” as election materials and official ballots “are already in town.”

“We are ready, poll officials and deputies are all ready for Saturday,” Tago said, adding that all election supplies and documents for the plebiscite are kept at the Maguindanao provincial capitol in Buluan, Maguindanao.

Tago’s pronouncement comes amid calls by a non-government organization to delay the plebiscite for at least two months.

“That is for Congress to decide, as far as we are concerned, we are all set for the referendum,” Tago said.

Meantime, IM4PEACE coordinator Goldy Omelio said their group, as an election watchdog, made the call to further update the people on the referendum.

“This is to allow a massive information drive to educate the people why a plebiscite is necessary, what are the pros and cons,” said Omelio, adding that a consultation spearheaded by her group showed that the majority of the residents were unaware of the 17 Sept balloting.

No group has so far campaigned for a “no” vote while elected local officials are busy campaigning for the “yes” vote.

A total of 939,011 registered voters for Maguindanao are expected to vote for the plebiscite.


Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/

Follow us on social media
Facebook: @tribunephl
Youtube: TribuneNow
Twitter: @tribunephl
Instagram: @tribunephl
TikTok: @dailytribuneofficial