Angeles: Phl appeal on Veloso case “moving”  

(File photo)

Photo by Yummie Dingding

September 7, 2022

President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. would only make a statement on the case of Mary Jane Veloso once a decision on the matter is already in place, Malacañang said on Wednesday.

“If the President feels that the policy is in place and it’s time to make a pronouncement then, of course, he will do so. Pero (But) for the moment, things are still moving. Since it was on Sept. 4 only that our foreign affairs (department) brought the matter up to their local counterpart in Indonesia, then there’s no decision yet that’s made,” Press Secretary Trixie Cruz Angeles told reporters covering Marcos’s state visit in Singapore.

The Department of Foreign Affairs appealed for executive clemency from the Indonesian government following the President’s three-day state visit there.

The Press Secretary reiterated the need to be careful in releasing statements when it involves the international community to avoid repercussions such as transgressing the sovereignty of another state.

Angeles assured that processes are “moving” concerning the case of Veloso, an overseas Filipino worker who was convicted of drug smuggling in 2010 and had been sentenced to death.

“There’s nothing final but we are continuously trying to find a solution,” she pointed out.


Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/

Follow us on social media
Facebook: @tribunephl
Youtube: TribuneNow
Twitter: @tribunephl
Instagram: @tribunephl
TikTok: @dailytribuneofficial