5 behind forged PBBM signature

September 3, 2022

Police have tracked down five persons of interest in the alleged forgery of the signature of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and the counterfeiting of the government seal on the supposed appointment papers of Abraham Espejo as the new commissioner of the Bureau of Immigration.

P/Brig. Gen. Ronald Lee, chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group of the Philippine National Police, said they have identified personalities who may shed light on the allegation.

“So far, we have identified five people, of which three have been sent subpoenas at their known address. Meanwhile, we are still determining the current residence of the other two personalities,” Lee said in a statement on Thursday night.

With the ongoing investigation, Lee asked for the cooperation and full support of those who were initially identified to aid them to uncover the truth through the information that they will be providing, and all pieces of information will be subject to further evaluation and validation.

“Our appeal continues for those who may have information about the said incident. This incident is serious and an intensive investigation will continue to resolve this outrageous act,” the CIDG chief stressed.

In a Palace briefing on Wednesday, PNP chief Gen. Rodolfo Azurin Jr. said there are breakthroughs in the investigation of the release of a “fake” document supposedly announcing the appointment of a new commissioner of the Bureau of Immigration.

“We already have a breakthrough, but we can’t disclose it yet. We were able to identify who caused it. Our only request is that those who are under investigation to cooperate, because, can you just imagine, it happens within the Office of the President? So very alarming because the Office of the President should be respected, should be given utmost courtesy,” Azurin said.

He said they might be able to submit the report on the case within the next few days.

On Tuesday, Malacañang ordered the National Bureau of Investigation and PNP to investigate the release of the “fake” document.

The Palace earlier said no document for the position of BI chief had been issued by the Presidential Management Staff, Office of the Executive Secretary, or the Office of the President.


Read more Daily Tribune stories at: https://tribune.net.ph/

Follow us on social media
Facebook: @tribunephl
Youtube: TribuneNow
Twitter: @tribunephl
Instagram: @tribunephl
TikTok: @dailytribuneofficial