Connect with us

Headline

Transition talks deferred

Published

on

Transition talks between the outgoing Duterte and incoming Marcos administrations will be put on hold until the proclamation day, the latter’s camp revealed on Monday.

“We have put it on hold. We have talked to Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea. We both agreed to pause and wait for the proclamation,” Marcos’ spokesperson Vic Rodriguez said in a radio interview on Monday.

Rodriguez also leads the Marcos’ transition team, alongside former Davao del Norte Rep. Anton Lagdameo, former Manila Rep. Naida Angping and South Cotabato Governor Jun Tamayo.

Just a day after the presidential elections, both camps revealed that they have hit the ground running and jump-started their transition discussions.

Congressional leaders eye to proclaim the new Philippine president and vice president by 27 May at the earliest.

Marcos Jr.’s camp also declined to disclose other members of the incoming administration’s Cabinet aside from presumptive vice president Sara Duterte-Carpio and former Metropolitan Manila Development Authority chair Benhur Abalos.

Duterte-Carpio will take the helm of the Department of Education while Abalos would lead the Department of the Interior and Local Government.

Presumptive president Marcos Jr. is taking his time in selecting members of his Cabinet, according to Rodriguez.

“For all other (Cabinet positions), I know people are excited about the people who will be appointed. But the selection process is still ongoing,” he said.

“President-elect Bongbong Marcos is very careful in forming his Cabinet to ensure that it will be very responsive to the problems that his administration would face in the future,” he added.

Rodriguez also refused to disclose what his role will be in the Marcos Jr. administration.

“My task is to lead the transition team. It’s up to president-elect Bongbong what my position will be. He’s the final authority after all,” he said.

Rodriguez also apologized to the people whose names have floated on the supposed list containing the possible members of the Marcos Jr.’s Cabinet and his economic team.

He again denied the validity of the supposed list that spread on social media last week.

“I have denied the existence of that list. We don’t have such a list,” he said.

“We have to continue our discussions. We are still in the pandemic of health and economy. That’s why (presumptive) President Marcos is very careful in forming his economic team,” he added.

“An economic team is a very sensitive team. It’s not about the campaign anymore, it’s about governing the Philippines.”

Advertisement

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

Advertisement
Advertisement